cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

online and offline media

idima
Level 4
hi
which is the diferente between online media and offline media? Who can put an example?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RahulG
Level 6
Employee
Just the same answer in diffenent words
Online media is the media which is present in the Robotic library or standalone drive or backup to disk folder . The media (tape or bkf ) which was wrtten by backup exec and is move to offsite location but the information about the media is still in the backup exec database is offline media 
EG : You run backup on tape as far as the tape is in the drive it is in online media 
once it is removed from the tape drive the tape in backup exec show up in offline media  

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Abhijit_Soman
Level 6
Partner Accredited
The catalogged media which is inside the tape drive is Online media.

The catalogged media which is not in the tape drive is Offline media.

idima
Level 4
and, for exmaple, a folder backup in the disk? is Online media or Offline media?

Hywel_Mallett
Level 6
Certified
Online media is media which is available to Backup Exec.
Offline media is media which is not immediately available to Backup Exec.
The other alternative is media stored in a vault.

For example:
A tape which is in the drive is online.
A tape which is not in the drive if offline.
Alternatively an alternative location (such as an off-site store) may be defined as a vault.

A backup-to-disk file which is still on the disk is online.
A backup-to-disk file which is not on the disk is offline.
Backup to disk files cannot be moved to a vault (I think) 

RahulG
Level 6
Employee
Just the same answer in diffenent words
Online media is the media which is present in the Robotic library or standalone drive or backup to disk folder . The media (tape or bkf ) which was wrtten by backup exec and is move to offsite location but the information about the media is still in the backup exec database is offline media 
EG : You run backup on tape as far as the tape is in the drive it is in online media 
once it is removed from the tape drive the tape in backup exec show up in offline media  

idima
Level 4
"A backup-to-disk file which is still on the disk is online.
A backup-to-disk file which is not on the disk is offline.
"

I do not undertand. 
If i do a backup-to-disk folder, it is always online?
A media is offline only when it is removed physically from de drive?

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

yes if you move the bkf file from the original location to some other location or delete the bkf file then themedia would show in offline media . also refer my previous comment