cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

online backup of Linux VMs on Hyper-v supported?

mk128935
Level 5
Employee

I appreciate the feedback on this.

Maybe I'm misinterpretting what's mentioned in the BE20.1 Admin Guide but it mentiones in Appendix D the following for the requirement for online backups using Hyper-v agent.

--------

Requirements for online backups (Appendix D: page 940)
To run an online backup, the following requirements must be met:
■ Check the Microsoft website for a Hyper-V Server version and its supported
Windows server guest operating systems.
-------

Some of us think that Linux VM on Hyper-v cannot be backed up online because of this statement. I don't think that's true but I'd like to get confirmation on this if possible. We can take online backup of Linux VM on Hyper-v correct? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Just checked with a colleague and we think it should work as long as GRT is disabled and integration services are installed.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

mk128935
Level 5
Employee
I’d appreciate the feedback to this.

Colin_Weaver

I believe the answer might depend on whether the Hyper-V Linux Integration Services are supported on the distribution of Linux you are asking about (and whether or not you want GRT capability against your online backup)

Assuming RHEL6 which support Hyper-V Linux Integration Services and no GRT needed (just Linux VM entire backup and restore), I think online backup should be supported in this case. What do you think?

Colin_Weaver

Just checked with a colleague and we think it should work as long as GRT is disabled and integration services are installed.