cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

powervault 124T and media ejection

Michael_Thompso
Level 2
Although I checked "Eject media after job completes", the media does not eject. Is this normal with an autoloader?
7 REPLIES 7

Kevin_J
Level 3
Wondering the same thing myself. I have the 124t Powervault and set the Sunday job set to eject tape when finishing. No alerts, errors, nothing in the logs regarding this.

Actually I couldn't even eject a tape from the Powervault front panel. I read on Dell's forums to "unlock" the library (in devices). I'll run a job tonight and see if it ejects when finished, maybe it being locked was the issue.Message was edited by:
Kevin J

Gordon_Othmer
Not applicable
I have been working this problem myself.
Searching both Dell and Symantec for information on it.
What I have found so far are two options:
Manually run a unlock and export job from the console, then use the web interface to move the media from the slot to the mailslot. (PITA for those of us that are not the one that physically change the tape every week)
Second option:
BEMCMD
Unfortunately, I have yet to find a command in bemcmd to tell the unit to move the tape from the slot to the mailslot. What I have found so far, and have tested to insure it does work:
Export Slot 1
bemcmd -o81 -a"AUTOLOADER 1" -s1
Unlock Library
bemcmd -o105 -a"AUTOLOADER 1"

I have posted on Dell's forum about this and now here, hopefully someone will be able to help with the final steps for this.

HTH
Gordon

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello,

Kindly refer the following Document:

Backup Exec fails to eject the media from a storage device after a backup operation, even though the option to "Eject media after job completes" was selected.

http://support.veritas.com/docs/191695

Thank You,

Shweta

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Sweta -

Did you bother to notice that these guys are talking about LIBRARIES and that your technote talks about STAND-ALONE drives?

Kevin_J
Level 3
I was able to unlock the library and eject the tape from the Powervault front control panel, but the tape does not eject after it finishes the job. Not really a big deal as I can do this manually, and only once per week.

Mr__Bocian
Not applicable
II contacted with Dell Support. And they informed me that 124T does not work with eject options. As they explained to me problem is with Autoloader that does not allow import/export and way how this autoloader works. It is by design and they do not plane to change it. And as they inform me it is not possible to do it trough the Symantec software or by the scripts. To eject tape there is only possibility trough the web interface or console.

Robert_Schmidt_
Level 6
We could go round and round about terminology ...

But on a library, 'unload' means "take the tape from the drive and put it back in the slot where you got it". that's it. - and that tick box is really "unload", not "eject".

On a PV 124T, you do have to use BE to 'unlock' the library before you can use the front panel of the PV.

When I was using a PV 124T, I had a 5-slot partition for my M - F backup (i was fortunate to fit all my data for each day on one LTO-3). I would remove (with the front panel) each day's tape when the backup was finished and take it off-site.

But, after the Friday backup, I would load all 5 tapes for the next week (a different set of 5 from the first) at one time.

If you haven't checked out the electronic doco with the device, it tells you how to eject a magazine so you can load bulk tapes much much easier than the cumbersome "mail slot".

Cheers