cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

problems backing up a snap 4500

Wade_Preston
Level 2
I have a SNAP 4500 NAS appliance that I am trying to incorporate into my backup strategy. I have the backups able to go to the snap server just fine. The problem I have is when I try to backup the snap my backup job fails with a0009418 for an error code. I have looked this up and it appears to me that this error has to do with having the proper rights to backup a SQL server. I am not trying to backup any SQL with this job, only the backups that are on the snap. What could I be missing to make this work? Is there some sort of BE agent I need to get for my snap server? Could someone help me?

Thanks,

--
Wade Preston
Baldwin Filters
3 REPLIES 3

Renuka_-
Level 6
Employee
Hello,
Explanation on why do we require license but no component.

How does backupexec understands SNAP SERVER?
(SNAP is basically an external HDD attached with power cord and network cable)
For Backupexec, NAS/SNAP SERVER is just another windows server on the network, this is because NAS units has the ability to mimic "real" Windows NT/2000, UNIX ,or Macintosh servers .This means that users don't have to do anything differently when they want to access them. As far as they are concerned,the NAS/SNAPSERVER unit is just another server out on the network on which to save or from which to retrieve their important files.
Therefore when you configure the SNAP SERVER The quick configuration series of menus takes you step-by-step through the process. First,you set up the current date and time for the server's clock,Then you select which networking environment you want the server to operate in. Snap Server is one of the more versatile NAS devices in that it supports AppleShare, UNIX NFS, and Novell Netware networks,in addition to standard Windows protocols. Once you choose windows networking environment and you select whether you want to use your existing user accounts on a Windows server or set up new accounts you are almost done with the SNAP SERVER configuration. While backing SNAP SERVER Backupexec will think it as another windows server on the network and thus demands "RAWS" but no component required.(Infact can not be installed).

To resolve this issue,purchase and register the "RAWS"/"RANT" license on the media server no component required.

Additional Information :
For information on the recent VERITAS Backup Exec security vulnerabilities, including links to the downloads for the necessary hotfixes, please refer to the following document:
Patch summary for Security Advisories VX05-001, VX05-002, VX05-003, VX05-005, VX05-006, VX05-007

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/277429.htm

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answeredand would be moved toanswered questions pool.

Wade_Preston
Level 2
Ok, that makes sense that I need an agent to do the backup. I have already talked to my sales rep who talked to the people at Veritas and they said I do not need any agents for this. Could you give me a part number that I could give to them so I can be sure to get the right agent? Also, how is this different than the agent I would purchase for a regular Windows server?

Thanks for the help!
Wade

Shilpa_pawar_2
Level 6
Hi,

A Snap server uses SAMBA to emulate a Windows volume. Because of this, VERITAS Backup Exec (tm) will recognize it as a remote Windows server. This will require that a valid license for a remote agent be installed on the media server. However, a remote agent does not actually need to be (and cannot be) installed on the SNAP server. The selections for the SNAP server backup need to be created through user-defined selections.

Steps to follow:

1) Register the remote agent license windows server on the media server.
2) Go to backupselection --Remote selection---right click---user defined selection.
Using the \\IPAddress add the snap server for backup.

- Also refer this technote:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/231165

- For purchasing the license you may contact the Sales department:

http://www.veritas.com/contactus/listing/LocationList.jhtml?locationId=0&st

Additional Information :
For information on the recent VERITAS Backup Exec security vulnerabilities, including links to the downloads for the necessary hotfixes, please refer to the following document:
Patch summary for Security Advisories VX05-001, VX05-002, VX05-003, VX05-005, VX05-006, VX05-007

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/277429.htm

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.