cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

problems with win2008 r2 DC system state backup

ronin2307
Level 3

hi,

i am not sure why, but backup of the system state on all of my 2008 r2 DCs fails with the following error

e00084af - the directory or file was not found or could not be accessed.

am i missing something obvious? using bkp exec 2010 r2

thx

6 REPLIES 6

JoaoMatos
Level 6
Partner

Hi,

take a look to the following link, may be it helps. Diferent OS and BE vs.

ronin2307
Level 3

no link?

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Is it saying that error against the whole system state or one file in it (reported in the job log)

If one file, then with Windows 2008 we have seen issues where a software package registers a file as being part of the system state but then when the file is removed, the registration in the System State is not so Backup Exec still looks for it in the System State backup

This is not a BE issue and even though Microsoft have an article about it - it is not a Microsoft issue either but more to do with the software that left the registration behind.

Quick and dirty fix is just create a file with same name (and extension) in the path specified in the job log. However the correct fix is to identify where the file came from and contact the vendor - only problem with te correct fix is sometimes the file is just called by a generic name so you can't trace the vendor.

Note I am not is a position to find the articles about this when I am not in the office.

Also the job log would specifically list the file and it's location if you have this problem.

ronin2307
Level 3

i ran a test job on all of my 2008 DCs individually again and here is the error

e000ff15 - A communication failure has occured with a System State resource

no further indication anywhere is to be found as to what is actually really going on. the log indicates v-79-57344-65301 as possible resource, but that article doesnt exist apparently any more

so other than that i got nothing to go by

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Use the procedure in this document to get a debug log and see where is the error.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH77888

jvartanian
Not applicable

I had the same problem:

e000ff15 - A communication failure has occured with a System State resource

I created a new backup selection list, associated it with the job, and it works fine now.  The problem was something in the old backup selection list.  Try that and see if it works.