cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"A set that has been partialized"

Ray_Hahn
Not applicable
I'm needing to restore something (and, of course, it's a "right now" situation), but when I go to open a set it doesn't open to show the folders\files. The catalog icon has a blue question mark in it. The help file with Backup Exec tells me that that icon means "A set that has been partialized". Some of the catalogs open, but the ones I need are apparently "partialized".

Um... OK. But that doesn't mean anything to me. So I did a search in the help file for "partialized". Nothing. The Veritas web site. Nada (other than the same icon explanation that the help file gives). Here in the forums... nothing again.

So... what does it mean? Most importantly, how do I "unpartialize" it?

And, of course, why do I have to ask this question here (e.g. why isn't "partialized" explained anywhere)?
2 REPLIES 2

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
At a guess (and that's all it is) - If this is a multivolume backup set, I'd say that one or more of the volumes has been overwritten

If that is the case, or if you still have all the tape volumes you may be able to get around it by shutting down all services, renaming (\Catalogs.Save) the \Catalogs folder and restarting the services. Invetory and catalog all the volumes that you have.

if you still don't see the files you need, you're probably SOL.

Parag_Bhide
Level 3
Hi Ray,

As I understand you are getting a "?" sigh on a particular catalog. What you need to do is, rename the

old catalog files with the "?" mark and then recatalog the tape that contains the required catalog files

by unchecking the "Use Storage-Media Based Catalog". Once done, check if you still see the "?" mark.

Check if you have selected the "Truncate catalog After Option". IF yes, uncheck that option and try.

Also recycle the services.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed

answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.