Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Backup Network" vs. System State /3Com Superstack Firewall

Scott_Iver
Level 2
Hi all,

Part 1:
I have the problem referanced in a couple of KB articals about the Utility Partition and the Volume Shadow Copy selections not showing up. I tried the fix (enable restrict anymous), but that did not work....

For clarity here is the setup I'm working with...

All my servers (nearly all are 2003 std) have 2 nic's, the primary nic's are 10/100 connected to my regular network (DNS, AD, etc.) The 2nd NIC is an IP only Gig network and the plan was to use this as the "data" connection for backup exec. Not only faster, but removes the traffic from our regular LAN traffic.

HOWEVER...

If I select the server by it's DNS name (ie over the regular nic) the Utility and Shadow options are there. If I try to select the same server via a user defined share to the IP address, those two things will not show up.

Part 2:

I would also like to use Backup Exec to backup my servers in my DMZ. However I've tried eveything I can think of and I still cannot get the Backup server to authenticate with the DMZ servers. My firewall (3Com Superstack 3 a.k.a. SonicWall 6.x) by default allows all traffic from the LAN into the DMZ, but blocks all traffic from the DMZ back into the LAN. I setup a 1 to 1 NAT for the backup server to give it a public IP, and then I setup firewall rules to allow my chosen backup exec ports thru to the LAN side. (I gave the DMZ servers LMHOST entries). However Vertias still gives me the auth. error when I try to connect to them. I am not allowing NetBios traffic (139, 445, etc.). What am I missing here??
3 REPLIES 3

Amruta_Purandar
Level 6
Hello,

These are two different issues so please open a different thread for DMZ environment.

===

For your use defined selection please note that TCP/IP addresses can be provided for user-defined selections, but are not recommended. Backup Exec does not support user-defined selections for IP addresses in a Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) environment.

If this is not the case and you are still unable to see the selections, do revert.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Scott_Iver
Level 2
Since these are all servers both NIC's have Statically assigned IP's, though on the first network we are running DHCP for client computers, just not on the servers.

Interestingly enough, if I make my backup selections via the DNS name, and specify the 2nd network on the Network Options Tab for the backup job, then in the logs the control session shows established over the 1st Network, and the data connection shows established over the 2nd Network.

I can live with that, as long as that is the intended way for the software to work...

I'm going to try a test restore of this backup to make sure that the Sysvol really was backed up correctly, but the backup tape data looks good so far.

Renuka_-
Level 6
Employee
Hello,
You may use the user defined selections with ip addresses, if it is not working please check whether the appropritae entries have been made to the host files on both these servers.

Additional Information :
For information on the recent VERITAS Backup Exec security vulnerabilities, including links to the downloads for the necessary hotfixes, please refer to the following document:
Patch summary for Security Advisories VX05-001, VX05-002, VX05-003, VX05-005, VX05-006, VX05-007

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/277429.htm

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answeredand would be moved toanswered questions pool.