cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Illegal xml character" due to corrupt item in Exchange mailbox

Jason-TNS
Level 3
Partner
I am seeing the below error when I try to open the job log for our Exchange backup job:

Illegal xml character. 
52: D:\Program Files\VERITAS\Backup Exec\NT\Data\BEX_SQL_06205.xml

I can see that this is because of the name of a Exchange mailbox that supposedly has corrupt items in it.  I deleted all other "corrupt" items from mailboxes that the BackupExec log was referring to, but can't get rid of the corruption error that is rerring to a cryptic mailbox name that does not show in Exchange System Manager, therefore I can not delete this item. 

WARNING: "\\EXCHANGE\Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes\A05E32AC6CF67C108389F268FBC431B468AB5540C16282F5" is a corrupt file.
This file cannot verify.
Warning: Unable to backup the attachment data associated with one or more messages. Some messages and their attachments may have been deleted while the backup was already in progress.

Please advise us on how to clear this message and if this is something to be concerned with.  Thanks.

2 REPLIES 2

shb
Not applicable
I get the same error and I too can't seem to find the 'corrupt' mailbox.

You can delete the illegal xml characters from line 52 in your XML file D:\Program Files\VERITAS\Backup Exec\NT\Data\BEX_SQL_06205.xml (probably just a square or two) and afterwards open the log and read it with fine colors and tables.

terramark
Not applicable
After a month of off and on dealing with this issue I was finally able to read the logs and trace the corrupt attachments to the sync issues/server failures folder of a mailbox for a particular user. Turns out this user had an Outlook rule that was broken. I deleted all the email in the server failures folder and now my backup reports are readable again.