cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"cannot edit a job created by a policy"

Greg_Harrison
Level 2
I just took a new job for a company running Symantec BE 10d. I have some Exchange mailboxes for users who are no longer here, that I want to remove from further backup. When I double-click on the job, I get the "cannot edit a job created by a policy" Of course when I go into the selections on the backup job, the submit button is greyed out.

How can I edit these jobs (there are 6 of them), without deleting the policy template, and thereby deleting the job as well? All of these backups are for multiple servers.
2 REPLIES 2

Francois_Steyl
Level 4
Partner
Hmm, doesn't sound to good. Not sure, but maybe try to right-click on the policy and select "delete jobs created by policy".

Now try to edit the selection list.

If possible, then just recreate the jobs from the policy again.

Can you create a new selection list, instead of editing the existing ones?

Wes_Miller
Level 4
when using policys you can only edit a job thru the policy. If you need to alter the selection then go the the job setup tab down at the bottom under backup selection open the selection that is bound to the policy. make your changes. then click ok. The trick is to edit the selection not the job.

Also a note.
When you remove 6 mailboxes from the exchange selection it will still backup the rest. But if you make new mailboxes in a day or week from now they wont be backed up. The reason is in my terms right now your mail protion is *.* all boxes. If you remove them from backup it is no longer *.* this is whay you wont backup any new boxes you will notice the the X mak will now be a \ mark which means you cannot get new boxes. I reccommend if you are on exchnage 2003 right click on the account of the user and go to exchnage tasks. and remove the mail box that way so exchange will remove it and the backup doesnt see it anymore. I ahve ran into this some time ago

Hope this helps