cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ralus.cfg option documentation

pwduffy
Level 3

I've been trying to find a document which explains the options in the ralus.cfg configuration file for the linux backupexec remote agent - so far unsuccesfully. I have been through the relevant section in the backupexec administration guide, and as far as I can see, only one or two options in ralus.cfg are mentioned (the only one which gets any kind of detailed discussion is the SystemExclude* option. Options such as "Advertise All" don't even get a mention.)

Has anyone else found a document which covers all the ralus.cfg options? (Surely there must be one somewhere! If not, maybe it's time someone wrote one??)

14 REPLIES 14

itsmeaffinity
Level 6

Hi,

Config file details:
SOFTWARE\VERITAS\Backup Exec\Agent Browser\TcpIp\AdvertisementPort=6101      Advertising port
Software\VERITAS\Backup Exec\Engine\Agents\Advertising Interval Minutes=60           To change time interval
Software\VERITAS\Backup Exec\Engine\Agents\Agent Directory List 1=10.0.0.2           To add media server(s)
Software\VERITAS\Backup Exec\Engine\Logging\RANT NDMP Debug Level=0              To debug set the value to 1
Software\VERITAS\Backup Exec\Engine\RALUS\Encoder=
Software\VERITAS\Backup Exec\Engine\RALUS\SystemExclude1=/dev/*.*
Software\VERITAS\Backup Exec\Engine\RALUS\SystemExclude2=/proc/*.*
Software\VERITAS\Backup Exec\Engine\RALUS\SystemExclude3=/mnt/nss/pools/
Software\VERITAS\Backup Exec\Engine\RALUS\SystemExclude4=/mnt/nss/.pools/
Software\VERITAS\Backup Exec\Engine\RALUS\SystemExclude5=/sys/*.*

As per the link which is below

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH46461

Thank You

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

pwduffy
Level 3

Thanks for that - I guess some notes on four options is an improvement. But I still don't consider it comprehensive documentation of the ralus.cfg file. (E.g. still no mention of the "Advertise All" option).

itsmeaffinity
Level 6

Hi ,

Please see the link below this would be applicable for higher version too which is till BE 2010 r2

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH35139

pwduffy
Level 3

That link appears to be just an extract from the backupexec admin guide (in the PDF edition for version 12, it's "G. Symantec Backup Exec Remote Agent for Linux or Unix Servers" -> "Publishing Linux and UNIX hosts to a media server" -> "About editing the ralus.cfg file". ) As I mentioned in my original post, I've already read this section - and it doesn't tell me what I need to know.

itsmeaffinity
Level 6

Hi ,

Well ,In that case I will have to see more on same but as far as i know this are few documents I have shared with you

Thank You

pwduffy
Level 3

OK, that tells me how to add/remove media servers. But what about all the other options in ralus.cfg? (In particular, what about "Advertise All"?

pwduffy
Level 3

OK - I am grateful for your comments and assistance.

It is starting to appear as though a document giving a comprehensive explanation of ALL the options in ralus.cfg doesn't exist at the moment: if so, I think this is a deplorable state of affairs.

itsmeaffinity
Level 6

Hey duffy,

I will look for more info on same & will keep you posted again thank for all your feedback & talk to you soon on same

Thank You

itsmeaffinity
Level 6

Hi Duffy,

As per our last conversation I did go through the admin guide for BE 2010 r2 were in admin guide there are lot of option discussed on ralus.cfg file it is on page no 1885 which will definitely help you & also has information on advertising(Now advertising means,

All it does is tell Backup Exec what type of server it is and that it exists and is availalble for backup. That is all Advertising does.

) all option

Now about the documentation on it , Symantec doesnot recommend to edit or make any changes to file nor they help to edit this file so there is no documentation on it

I am attaching the admin guide & as referred above the page no for ralus.cfg file configuration that should definitely help you alot

If that answers your question please mark this post as solved

Thank You

itsmeaffinity
Level 6

Hi Duffy

Any updates here please mark this post solved if your douts are cleared

Thank You

itsmeaffinity
Level 6

Hi ,

Any updates here please mark this is as solved so that we can close the thread

You response on same is appreciated

Thank You

pwduffy
Level 3

Hi,

Many thanks for that - that version of the admin guide does indeed give a lot more detail about ralus.cfg and tells me what I want to know.

I'm still puzzled as to why Symantec apparently doesn't want users changing some of the options in this file.

itsmeaffinity
Level 6

Hi

Yes that is not the best practisce & again symantec doesnot help in editing the same

That is true

Thank You