cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

remote agent install fails

dale_brewe
Level 3
I thought my problem was the same as that posted by Trinjtje Downs, RE "remote agent manual install fails". However, the advice posted there did not solve my problem. netstat -a does not show any other use of port 10000, and adding this port to the services file did not help. Moreover, other of our machines are running the agent w/o this service listed, and the machine that has the problem was running the agent fine for quite some time until I attempted to update the agent after some security warnings. Here is a summary of the problem:

0) I am running XP SP2, on a desktop machine. I've tried two versions of the RANT32 installer, one with the installer patch dated 2/10/2006 (sp 4a + a hot fix?) and another ca. 8/13/2005. The machine was running a previous version before I tried to upgrade. I *think* it was running the version from 8/13/2005, but it will not reinstall this version or the 2/10/2006 version.

1) I've followed all the instructions in the knowledge base pertaining to removing the registry keys for the agent, rebooting, and so on. I have sufficient privileges. This is a local install running setupaa.cmd

2) Backupinst.log gives me a msg that the install was successful, then fails to start the service, and rolls back the installation, i.e. removes everything it installed. Here is a section of the log:

06-06-2006,09:48:02 : Install RANT32 completed successfully.
06-06-2006,09:48:02 :
06-06-2006,09:48:02 : Action 9:48:02: StartServices. Starting services
06-06-2006,09:48:02 : Service: Backup Exec Remote Agent for Windows Servers
06-06-2006,09:49:00 : ERROR: Error 1920.Service Backup Exec Remote Agent for Windows Servers (BackupExecAgentAccelerator) failed to start. Verify that you have sufficient privileges to start system services.
06-06-2006,09:49:00 : Action ended 9:49:00: InstallFinalize. Return value 3.
06-06-2006,09:49:00 : Action 9:49:00: Rollback. Rolling back action:

3) The system log simply tells me the service terminated unexpectedly w/ event ID 7034.

4) The application log gives me event ID 1000 and the following msg:

Faulting application beremote.exe, version 9.1.4691.0, faulting module ntdll.dll, version 5.1.2600.2180, fault address 0x0001bf9f.

dale brewe
11 REPLIES 11

tejashree_Bhate
Level 6
Hello,

Verify that the remote agent service is running under local system account on the media as well as the remote server.
From the following link www.sysinternals.com please download tcp view and check that port 10,000 is open.

Also try uninstalling the remote agent and reinstall and verify results

Below is the technote to install locally remote agent

(title) Alternative local installation method for the Remote Agent for Windows Servers (RAWS) and the Advanced Open File Option (AOFO)
http://support.veritas.com/docs/270066

Note:- if we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be assumed answered and archived.

Thanks.

dale_brewe
Level 3
Perhaps I didn't make myself clear. And, perhaps you should reread my post. I'm already doing the procedure described in the technote you described. As my post said, THIS IS A LOCAL INSTALL RUNNING SETUPAA.CMD. If it wasn't, the install would fail for other reasons w/ XPsp2 according to your technotes. Perhaps you should read them, e.g. http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/270144.htm. The service isn't running at all. Port 10000 isn't open because THE SERVICE ISN'T RUNNING BECAUSE THE INSTALLER FAILS TO START IT AND UNINSTALLS IT. There is nothing to uninstall, except to delete a couple of registry keys it leaves behind. The registry keys that remain after the installer uninstalls the agent indicate it WOULD be running under the local system account IF THE INSTALLER DID NOT FAIL TO START IT AND UNINSTALL IT. I've tried deleting the remaining registry keys and installing under a variety of conditions (e.g. enabling/disabling various windows services, windows firewall, etc.), with the same result. THIS IS A LOCAL INSTALL RUNNING SETUPAA.CMD. THE SERVICE ISN'T RUNNING BECAUSE THE INSTALLER FAILS TO START IT AND UNINSTALLS IT. C:\Program Files\Veritas\Backup Exec\RANT\beremote.exe does not exist because THE INSTALLER REMOVES IT. PORT 10000 ISN'T OPEN BECAUSE THE SERVICE ISN'T RUNNING BECAUSE THE INSTALLER FAILS TO START IT AND UNINSTALLS IT. I HAVE SUFFICIENT PRIVILEGES.
dale brewe

Asma_Tamboli
Level 6
Hi,

please check out the following technote to disable the "Force guest" on the XP machine and run the installation thereafter:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/241419

Keep us updated on the issue!

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

dale_brewe
Level 3
The machine is in a domain. This technote does not apply. As my post said, this machine was running the remote agent before. All I did was uninstall the remote agent and try to install an upgraded version (please read the original post where this is described).

Gauri_Ketkar
Level 6
Hi,

Assuming that you have perform a manuall uninstallation of remote agent and rebooting and also Firewall is disable on XP SP2 , still getting this error and can not install latest version of remote agent..

Unregister and then register the Installer service using the command line switches shown below. (on XP)

This shuts down and reregisters the service, which assures that the Windows Installer engine should function properly. Enter the following commands from a command prompt:
1) msiexec /unregister
2) msiexec /regserver

Try installing remote agent locally once again..

Update us on the same and revert for any further Query
Hope this will help you

Thank you
Gauri

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

dale_brewe
Level 3
This makes no difference.
1) attempt to install; Installer fails to start agent and uninstalls the agent, but doesn't clean up registry keys.
2) delete keys HKLM\System\Services\CurrentControlSet\BackupExecAgentAccelerator and HKLM\Software\Veritas
3) Reboot
4) Run msiexec /unregister and then msiexec /regserver
5) go to 1.

Ajit_Kulkarni
Level 6
Hello,

Have you tried local installation of Remote Agent on Windows XP SP2 ?

You can refer to the following technote to verify if you are following right steps:

- How to perform a local installation of the Backup Exec Remote Agent for Windows Servers or the Advanced Open File Option
http://support.veritas.com/docs/258982

Hope this helps you.

Regards

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

dale_brewe
Level 3
Is this some kind of cruel joke? Have you read a single word of the posts I've submitted to this thread?

Gauri_Ketkar
Level 6
Hi

On XP Installation of remote agent creates "bepushes.log" which is located in the following location: C:\Windows

Also check on bkupinst.log File on Media server .

Search with "start time" till the last Start time and then search for any error generated .. please paste relavant error message here ..

Update us on the same and revert for any further Query
Hope this will help you

Thank you
Gauri

dale_brewe
Level 3
This is kind of amazing. Your post seems still to imply you think I tried a push install. I'll say yet again: This is a local install, running setupaa.cmd from RANT32 copied to the target machine. There is no bepushes.log. I already posted the relevant errors from backupinst.log.

tejashree_Bhate
Level 6
Hello,

Please follow the below steps

Uninstall Windows XP "SP2"
Install Remote agent using Silent Install
renamed BEDSMBOX.DLL and BEDSXESE.DLL to *.old and rebooted.
Install Windows XP SP2

Hope this will help.

Note:- if we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be assumed answered and archived.

Thanks.