cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

remote agent problems

Chris_Goldsmith
Level 3
I'm running BE 10d on a windoze 2003 server I'm trying to backup a Novell 5.x server on our network. The backup log says the files are backed up and verified completely but I get the following error on the job
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Job ended: Wednesday, May 17, 2006 at 9:15:26 AM
Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xe000846b - The resource could not be backed up because an error occurred while connecting to the Backup Exec for Windows Servers Remote Agent.
Make sure that the Remote Agent is installed on the target computer and is running.
Final error category: Resource Errors

For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-33899
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have pushed the remote agent out to the servers and it says it completed successfully also when i launch bestart on the novell server it loads successfully.

Also when selecting the data to backup the server in question does not show up in the list of Netware agents to be able to select it i added it to the user-defined selctions.

Other novell 5.x servers I pushed teh agent to and completed show in the agent list but when I try to browse them I get error that
"error has occured while attempting to browse the contents"

Thanks in advance for any help
ChrisMessage was edited by:
Chris Goldsmith
7 REPLIES 7

criley
Employee Accredited
You must backup your NetWare servers by making selections under the 'NetWare Agents' section - this ensures that all the trustee information is backed up as well as the actual files themselves.

You need to check that name resolution is working between your windows server and your NetWare servers - in BOTH directions. If you cannot ping by server name in both directions you will need to update DNS or your hosts files (hosts files on NetWare are sys:\etc\hosts).

Once name resolution is working, your NetWare servers should appear under 'NetWare Agents'. You could also add your NetWare servers into the tools-->options-->NetWare SMS section (remove the entry for '*').

Chris

Chris_Goldsmith
Level 3
once I have name resolution working and i push the remote agent install how long should it take for a server to show up in the remtoe agent list? do I need to restart any services or the console?

criley
Employee Accredited
It shouldn't take very long to show but it all depends on the speed of your network. If it doesn't show up after 3-4 mins then you should restart the Backup Exec services.

Also, you need to check that NDMPD.NLM is running on your NetWare servers. And what version of the remote agent do you have running (check sys:\bkupexec\version.doc)? What patches/hot fixes are installed on the windows server?

tejashree_Bhate
Level 6
Hello,

We request you to update on this issue.

Thanks.

Note:- if we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be assumed answered and archived.

Chris_Goldsmith
Level 3
thanks for the info. problem resolved

criley
Employee Accredited
Thanks for the update. Was name resolution the problem then?

Chris_Goldsmith
Level 3
yes it was .. found out the administrator here before me had screwed up the dns entires for all the 40+ novell servers .. once i corrected dns everything came up fine thanks again