cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

remove server from "windows systems" selection list

ipguy
Level 4

hi all

how do i remove a server that is listed under the "windows systems" selection list ?

when i try to right click to get options SBE just hangs as it can't find the server (which is dead)

i just want to remove it and forget about it

4 REPLIES 4

St3phan
Level 3

You can go to the tab View Selection Details (normally is View by Ressource on the main site of  your selection list)

The you mark the line(s) of the server and click on delete.

Or do you mean the Favorite Resources and then Windows Systems?

ipguy
Level 4

yes, Favourate resourses --> Windows Systems --> Dead server

St3phan
Level 3

If you get this error:

V-79-57344-35111 The remote computer name has been automatically deleted from Favorite Resources. The remote computer may have been disconnected or uninstalled. If the media server receives published information from the Remote Agent on this computer again, the computer name is redisplayed under Favorite Resources. E_CONNECTION_FAILURE - the media server is unable to connect to the remote agent computer. Super-Delete is invoked. If Super-Delete succeeded this error gets mapped into the I Super-Deleted this machine, it might come back.

I found a link in the forum, but do not know if this is the only way:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/favorite-resources-cleanup

1. Stop the remote agent, make sure the software has been uninstalled.
2. Stop the Backup Exec Agent Browser, Backup Exec Job Engine, and Backup Exec Server services on the Media Server
3. Start Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio and connect to the SQL 2005 Express instance that's running on the Media Server.
3a. If you don't have any SQL 2005 boxen to run SSMS from, you can download SSMSE from here:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?fa...
3b. If you can't connect to the media server from SSMS, check your firewall settings
3c. If you can't connect to the media server from SSMS, check your SQL Server Configuration Manager and ensure that TCP/IP is enabled, along with Shared Memory. Restart the SQL Server service if you make a change.
4. Go to Databases, BEDB, Tables, dbo.NRDSAgent.
5. Right-click, Open Table.
6. Find the row (AgentName field) that has the server that's been taken offline. Right-click, Delete it.
-or-
5. Click New Query:
USE BEDB
DELETE FROM dbo.NRDSAgent where AgentName = 'deadhost.domain.tld'
6. Execute!
7. Quit SSMS.
8. Start the Backup Exec Agent Browser, Backup Exec Job Engine, and Backup Exec Server services on the Media Server

The BEDB.dbo.NRDSAgent table apparently holds a cache of detected servers. Since Symantec forgot to put in a delete option in the right-click context menu of a dead agent and refuses to provide a hotfix based on the above paste from http://support.veritas.com/docs/284168, this option appears to work as an alternative.

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Editing the database is not recommended - if the server is no longer online (or no longer running the remote agent) it should be marked with a yellow triangle after 1 day and then 13 days later it will be removed from the list for you (so total of 14 days for removal)

If you really must get rid of it before then then you can adjust the 1 day + 13 days periods down to 1 minute + 1 minte by changing entries in the registry and restarting all the Backup Exec services.

The Registry entries are:

Agent Removal Delay Minutes

and

Agent Tombstone Delay Minutes

Located in HKLM\SOFTWARE\Symantec\Backup Exec for Windows\Agent Browser

You will need to wait a few minutes after making the chaneged and restarting for the servers in question to be removed.

Before changing make a note of the current values so you can change them back.