cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

requirements for creating synthetic backups from virtual machines

mk128935
Level 5
Employee

Hi, I'm trying to find out if there are any special requirements in creating synthetic backups from virtual machine backups (VMware or Hyper-V). I checked the admin guide and it only says that only common files sources such as volumes, folders can be backed up. I can't tell if there's any distinction between physical machines or virtual machines. I believe as long as you deploy agents inside the VMs, synthetic backups should work just like physical machines. Probably agentless won't work I think. Correct me if I'm wrong. I appreciate the clarification.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You must treat the VM's as physical machines and backup the file, folders, etc. using a job.  You cannot backup the entire VM and use GRT, for synthetic backups..  Needless to say, you need to install an agent in the VM's.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You must treat the VM's as physical machines and backup the file, folders, etc. using a job.  You cannot backup the entire VM and use GRT, for synthetic backups..  Needless to say, you need to install an agent in the VM's.