cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

restore data from tape, which are backuped to tape from a B2D folder

STN-FAN
Level 3
 Hello,
we backup our servers daily by job to Disk (At the moment Veritas version 9.1, we will update to version 11d soon)

Once this job is finished  a 2nd job backups  the BKF files from  Backup-to-Disk folder to the tape.
After backuping B2D folder on tape, the contents of folders must be erased and or overwritten.

If I want to restore data from tape , but  I can only get BKF files from tape.
This is not what I want, I want to get individual folders or files that have been saved from Backup-to-Disk Folder on the tape.

Did one of you  have an idea? I have seen the manual and  searched in internet  but did not found  concrete instructions.

Thanks in advance
7 REPLIES 7

STN-FAN
Level 3
Hello?!!!
How long must I wait for an answer? Know anyone how to send a question mail to symantec ? I can not wait 100 years for an answerMan Sad

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
V9.1 has been End-Of_Life for a year, so you won't get any kind of response from Symantec

Rather than using a standard backup of the BKF files,  use a DUPLICATE job,  and you can restore directly from tape

STN-FAN
Level 3
Thank you for the advice. We will change to 11d as soon as possible.
I can duplicate from B2D folder to tape. Is there a possibility to erase data, which are in B2D folder after duplicating them to tape?

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
I don't think there is any way to do it automatically, but yes, you can delete the BKF files once they have been duplicated to tape

STN-FAN
Level 3
Ok. I  am sure of that because of the tests.

Is it possible with  BE 11d? If not, can I overwrite the B2D folder by another backup ?

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
You can re-use BKF files just like you re-use tape volumes

Just make sure that the media set that the BKF files belong to has an OPP that expires when you want it to, and that you have enought disk space to hold all the BKF files created before they start overwriting

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Need to add something to my last response

if you are doing GRT backups, they will not overwrite until the volume is full or until the Disk Space Reserve has been met