cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

restoring NetWare 6.5 SP3 server

Kevin_Miller_4
Level 3
I am testing my first NetWare 6.5 SP3 server which is in it's own tree. My media server is running Backup Exec v10.5520 on Windows 2003 server. During a restore, utilization on the NetWare server hovers near 100%. After a few GB are restored, the restore hangs and the NetWare server stays at 100%. Also when I cancel the job, it just goes into a Cancel pending status and I have to stop and restart the BE services.

Dell PE 2850, 3Ghz, 2GB RAM
N65NSS3A and NW65OS3A installed
tsa5up18.exe installed
set client file caching enabled=off
set level 2 oplocks enabled=off

Kevin Miller
7 REPLIES 7

Ashutosh_Tamhan
Level 6
Try the following on the netware server:

SET TCP DELAYED ACKNOWLEDGEMENT=OFF

SET TCP NAGLE ALGORITHM=OFF

Does this setting help?

Regards,
Ashutosh

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Jim_Lombardo_2
Not applicable
Kevin,

Watch the Total Cache Buffers in Monitor. If the disk subsystem is slow, you can run the machine out of memory and have it lock. At the server console type NSS /NOCOPYBUFFERSONXLATCH. This setting is not persistant. This can be done while the restore is taking place. To turn this setting off type NSS /COPYBUFFERSONXLATCH.

Jim

Kevin_Miller_4
Level 3
Thanks for the hint on what to watch. My Total Cache Buffers bounced around but never went much lower than 235,000.

Kevin_Miller_4
Level 3
These seemed to help keep the utilization a little lower during the restore but it still kept locking up. After doing a lot of testing, I found it would hang at 2 different places during the restore. It was while restoring CD1 and CD2 of an MS Office 2000 Admin install. I tried to restore to a different server and had the same lockup. I started wondering if the tape has a problem so I am in the process of rebuilding the server and will take a new backup and try to restore next week.

Sharvari_Deshmu
Level 6
Hello,

Please apply Hotfix 15 :
http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/278465.htm

Install the Remote agent on the NetWare server:

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/278581.htm

Once the installation is complete create a file ADVRTMS.DAT file and enter the Ip_address of the media server.

BESTART

Create a test backup job and check the status.

Thanks,

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Kevin_Miller_4
Level 3
Applied Hotfix 15 and the newer NetWare agent but the same problem happens even with new backup and restore jobs.

Kevin_Miller_4
Level 3
I found this error in the ndmpd.log file when placing the
NetWare agent in debug mode. The last error keeps repeating until the server
is rebooted.

SMS Error: fffdfffd (file: mwritobj.c, line 266)
Error Text: "(TSAFS.NLM 6.51.0 258) This program has encountered a buffer
underflow and cannot get the entire field."
ndmpdApiLog: entry(3):Error (0xffffdfc0) occurred
attempting to process object
\Winapps\Off2KCD2\PFiles\Common\MSShared\webfldrs\RAGENT.DLL

SMS Error: fffdfffd (file: mwritobj.c, line 266)
Error Text: "(TSAFS.NLM 6.51.0 258) This program has encountered a buffer
underflow and cannot get the entire field."