cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

settings for Certance LTO 3 (Quantum Superloader)

Not applicable
What are the recommended configurations settings for Backuexec for widows servers 10d  running on a W2003 platform, using an adaptec 29160 and a Quantum Superloader3 LTO3 (Certance drive)?

Block size, Buffer Size, Buffer Count, High Water Count,
Read Single Block mode.
Write Single Block mode
Read Scsi pass-through mode
Write Scsi pass-through mode

Also recommended settings for Adaptec 29160  using a 68  pin connector external.
3 REPLIES 3

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Block size              As large as the drive supports - 64K?
buffer                     128K or 256K
number of buffer    10
highwater                0

buffer number and number of buffers should be set high enough that the tape device never has to wait for data, but can just stream data as fast as it can be written in one long pass

if the drive is directly attached to the media server, all of the Single Block and Passthrough should be disabled

See

mike_brooker
Level 5
 I use a Certance LTO 3 (Quantum Superloader) directly attached to the media server, I have left everything on the defaults and it has worked with no problems (backing up around 1.2TB) for around 1 year - I'm now wondering if I should adjust it? But, "If it ain't broken...." keeps ringing in my ears!

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
If you are satisfied with the throughput you are getting, you're tight, "If it ain't broke .. "

If you want to push a little though, you can try a few tests with different settings.  If the results are not different enough, just go back to the defaults