cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

shared back-up-to disk folder

slhogan
Level 3
I have two servers they both have backup exec for windows server 9.1. Server A writes to a back-up-to-disk folder. How can I Inventory and cataloge this folder from server B in the event something happens to server A?
Or is there a better way?
10 REPLIES 10

A_van_der_Boom
Level 6
Hi,

I am not that deep into BE but I'll give it a try.

You could try shareing the B2D folder on server A and then 'connect' it on server B under 'Removeable Backup-to-disk devices'

When using the option 'Use storage media-based catalogs' to make the B2D you could perform the backup on server A and then copy the B2D to server B. With this option you should have the backup which contains the catalog,

But why do you want to do this ?

Jus my E0.02
Kind regards
A van der Boom

slhogan
Level 3
server A backs up to an additional drive on a third station. I do a tape backup and backup to this extra drive as redundancy. If something happens to server "A" I will need that stored information to get everyone working while server A is being repaired. The extra drive has shares to everyone. Server B will not let me set this drive and folder to a backup-to-disk-folder. It will let me make a whole diferent one just not access that one to cataloge it. I can access the tape from server "B" but retrieving from the drive is so much faster.

Brian_Coverston
Level 4
If ServerA dies, go to ServerB and add a folder to ServerB's "backup to disk" folders that contains files that ServerA created. Under the "backup to disk" folder you just created, you will see media files appear (pretend each one is a tape). Category each of the tapes... err, files. After that is done, you can restore from the files from ServerB.

slhogan
Level 3
that will work but not the answer i was hoping for, of course. baybe it's the only way.

tejashree_Bhate
Level 6
Hello,

For example if server A crashes then there is no way you can inventory and cataloge the Backup-to-disk folder from server B. You wouldnt be able to connect to the server.
You can copy this folder to an alernate location or a different machine so that you can cataloge and restore data

Hope that answers your question. Please write to us if you have further queries

NOTE : If we do not receive your intimation within two business days, this post would be "assumed answered" and archived.

Sheetal_Risbood
Level 6
Archiving the post as per our previous reply

slhogan
Level 3
just became neccessary to try this. and it didn't work all filesinventoried. and when i try it catalog one i get an error that one or more pieces of media in the family have not been inventoried
but they all have

Ajit_Kulkarni
Level 6
Hello,

I would like to know if you have tried to the solution given by Veritas representative on 13th of April ?

If so then please let us know the exact procedure you followed and the exact error message you are getting.

Regards.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

slhogan
Level 3
yes that is what i tried
files were copied to an alternative location
It will not work from the original server from the original files either. that backup backs up info from two workstations and the server and puts all the backup files on a 4th stations drive. I can restore the info from the two work stations but nothing that was backed up from the server from the server.
the error is only listed as unknown error

priya_khire
Level 6
Hello,

We aplogise for this delay in replying to your previous mail. We need to know if the problem persists? If yes, can you elaborate the details regarding your post dated 19th may.
On the other hand, why dont you try out a duplicate backup and thus store the data you backup on Server A? You can do so by following the procedure from the technote given below:

Title: How to configure duplicate jobs in VERITAS Backup Exec (tm) 9.x / 10.0 for Windows Servers
http://support.veritas.com/docs/256096

Do update us in case you need more information on this.

If we do not receive yor update within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Regards.