cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

slow backup to disk

Ade_Sulaiman
Level 3
hello

i upgraded to 11d a few weeks back and amoungst some issued i have was the fact that backup times doubled. i have since had to remove 11d and re-install 10d but the backup times have not improved. i currently have a job that is still running after 23hrs backing up 300gb! prior to the upgrade i could do this in circa 10hrs.

any advice?

thanks
25 REPLIES 25

Lennart-Live
Level 3
Hi all,

I have turned of software compressesion in Veritas, without changing the Powerpath software. The speed has gone up to more then 1GB.
Also have talked to Dell, they have giving me the 1.1 version of Powerpath and i am going to implement this one.
I will post the outcome.

Thanks!

Lennart-Live
Level 3
Hi,

Well. Still not amused by B2D speed.
Simultaneously running two B2D Jobs.
Job one: Average 258MB/M
Job two: Average 359MB/M
They are running for about 12hrs.
Today Dell will call me back and i will talk to them about this problem again.

Any further advice?

Thanks. 

Dusty
Level 2
After installing Powerpath 1.1 and the fix, you may have to unplug the ethernet cable from your san port on the server. reinstall 1.1 and reboot, then apply the fix and reboot, while it is rebooting plug the cable back in. Once it is up go into navsp. and re-register it . in backup exec, use hareware compression then software compression when you do the backup job. You should see a much better result in your speed.

Jeff1981
Level 4
Removing Powerpath didn't actually help a lot in our situation. However, last weekend, we completely formatted the SAN array we're using for our backups (7 disk 500 GB RAID-5 setup) Firstly, we duplicated all our backup files to tape. Then, in BackupExec, we deleted all the backup to disk folders and files, and set our jobs to backup to tape (didn't start the jobs though, we put them on hold). After this, through Windows Explorer, we formatted the logical disk associated with our SAN. A reboot just to make sure of the server, than back into BackupExec to create the backup to disk folders. We used to est a maximum size for our backup files, but this time we've also put a mark at "Allocate the maximum size for backup to disk files"

Before the actions described above, when running the windows defragmentation tool on the logical disk, it would display an almost full red bar, only leaving out a few white spots to represent available disk space. This meant the logical disk was heavily fragmented (please note that defragmentation using Windows on a SAN can easily degrade performance in stead of improve it, depending on type of SAN, type of array and other factors. See this link for more information: http://www.las-solanas.com/storage_virtualization/san_volume_defragmentation.php ) After this weekend, because we've put a check mark at "Allocate the maximum size for backup to disk files", the defragmentation tool shows a perfect blue bar, indicating a completely defragmented drive.

And the results... great! We went up from a maximum of 400 MB/s for two or three concurrent jobs to a maximum of 1.5 GB/s for two concurrent jobs and even experienced a max. of 2 GB/s for three concurrent jobs! Also, duplicating to tape went up from about 350 MB/s to 4 GB/s! Job averages went up from around 250 MB/s to 750 MB/s and higher.

We'll run without any additional changes this week to see wether the current speeds hold up. Next week, we'll try dusty's solution to implement Powerpath 1.1 including the fix.

Danny_Garza
Level 2
I too was experiencing slow backups to disk.  I enabled software compression and this made a huge difference.  I was backing up 96GB in 23:55 hours at 214 MB/min.  After i enabled software compression i now backup 96GB in 1:57 hours!  The throughput is 1,383 MB/min.

Hope this helps!

Danny

Jeff1981
Level 4
We too have software compression enabled and it indeed'll give you a performance increase sooner than decrease througput velocity