cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

slow browsing Netware server selection list

Josh_Krueger
Level 3
A client of ours is backing up Netware servers to their Windows Server 2003 with the Novell Client 4.91 installed. They are using Backup Exec for Windows 10.0.5520 We have installed the remote agent to the Netware servers by pushing it to them. We are able to successfully backup test data from these servers.

The problem is that selecting data to backup is extremely slow. Browsing to the Netware 5.1 servers is extremely slow. When browsing to the Netware 6 servers it is normal. On Netware 6, you can click on the server, wait a few seconds, authenticate, and then browse to all the resources below it quickly.

When browsing the selection list for the Netware 5.1 servers, it takes 40-60 seconds per click. You have to wait 40-60 seconds for every single subfolder that you click on. He is trying to setup exclusions for many Groupwise folders and some other stuff on many servers and it is taking hours.

We get the normal prompt for authentication when clicking on the Netware 5.1 server and are never prompted for authentication again, so I think that it is properly authenticating. There is just a huge pause when clicking on each subfolder on the file system. The screen freezes and you can't do anything inside the Veritas application.

Has anyone seen this before? Could there be a reason why it would be fast for the Netware 6 servers and slow for the Netware 5.1 servers?

We have tried changing the protocol order in the Novell Client, but this did not help. We also tried enabling the IPX setting in Veritas, but it did not help either. Any ideas on other things to try?

Thanks,
Josh
9 REPLIES 9

Ajit_Kulkarni
Level 6
Hello,

Have you tried connecting Netware server from Windows without using Backup Exec ?

For a test purpose you can try selecting and browsing the Netware server using Windows NT Backup utility and check if the same problem persists.

Kindly update.

Regards

Additional Information :
For information on the recent VERITAS Backup Exec security vulnerabilities, including links to the downloads for the necessary hotfixes, please refer to the following document:
Patch summary for Security Advisories VX05-001, VX05-002, VX05-003, VX05-005, VX05-006, VX05-007

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/277429.htm

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Josh_Krueger
Level 3
I don't think that NT Backup can backup remote Netware servers. Anyway, I am browsing with Backup Exec using the "netware agents" tree, not the "netware services" tree. "Netware services" is the only thing that shows up in NT Backup.

I can browse the Novell servers properly within network neighborhood. It is very fast there. I can see volumes on a few of the Netware servers through NT backup, but I think that they are shared using CIFS to emulate Windows shares.

Thanks,
Josh

shilpa_Pawar
Level 4
Hi,

-Ensure that after executing the command BESTART on the remote server, the module BKUPEXEC.NLM is loaded. Also, ensure that the module NDMPD.NLM is also loaded.

-On the Media server, include the IP address of the Remote NetWare server in the Hosts file (C:\Winnt\System32\Etc\Drivers).

-Also, ensure that the Server name and the IP address of the Media server is included in the file ADVRTMS.DAT(SYS:\BKUPEXEC) on the Netware server

-Please add the Netware server in Backup Exec admin console through TOOLS -> OPTIONS -> NETWARE SMS.

-Recycle or restart all Backup Exec services and observe the results.

-Ensure that port 10000 is available and listening on the remote NetWare server.

- Additionally apply latest support pack from novell website.

Additional Information :
For information on the recent VERITAS Backup Exec security vulnerabilities, including links to the downloads for the necessary hotfixes, please refer to the following document:
Patch summary for Security Advisories VX05-001, VX05-002, VX05-003, VX05-005, VX05-006, VX05-007

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Josh_Krueger
Level 3
I've tried creating the ADVRTMS.DAT file (which just consists of a server name or IP address of the media server according to Veritas
documentation) on a target server that was having this problem. I've verified that bkupexec.nlm and ndmpd.nlm are loaded on the server. I've also added all netware servers to the list of Netware servers to display via TOOLS -> OPTIONS -> NETWARE SMS. The problematic servers have also been added to the local hosts file on the media server. Finally, I ran bestop and bestart on them. I've verified that bkupexec.nlm and ndmpd.nlm started back up, and that it's listening on port 10000 in TCPCON. The server is running the latest support pack for Netware 5.1 (SP8). I've added a host entry for the server to the hosts file and restarted the media server. The problem persists.

This problem only affects the Netware 5.1 remote servers. All the netware 6.0 server browse very quickly in the selection list for backup and restore. Could there be something specific to 5.1? We have also tried with and without the latest Novell Client. and tried changing the protocol preferences. Nothing seems to help.

Thanks,
josh

Sharvari_Deshmu
Level 6
Hello

please reconfigure SMDR using the foll technote:
http://support.veritas.com/docs/271692

Only for the option Disable SLP select yes.

Thanks,

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Josh_Krueger
Level 3
That link did not work. It said that the document does not exist anymore. Can you email me the contents of the document or post them on the forum here?

Josh

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

How to reconfigure Storage Management Data Requester :

The Storage Management Data Requester (SMDR) is the communication module in the Storage Management Services (SMS) framework and provides transparent access to local and remote target service agents (TSA). The SMDR APIs are used by SBCON and other third-party applications as well.

SMDR is used to broadcast the existence of TSAs.

When you first load SMDR, it creates a configuration file (SYS:\ETC\SMS\SMDR.CFG) that determines how it advertises.

You can either edit this file or unload SMDR and reload it with LOAD SMDR NEW to reconfigure the advertising methods.

The three methods of advertising available are:

SAP-LOAD IPXCON (which requires SPX connectivity)
SLP-DISPLAY SLP SERVICES (which requires IP connectivity)
NDS- Check SMDR.CFG files (which requires the local and remote server to be in the same tree.)

The SMDR Configuration consists of the following settings:

Disable NDS
SMDR Context (only if NDS is enabled)
SMDR Group Context (only if NDS is enabled)
Disable SLP
· Disable SAP

In order to reconfigure SMDR in NetWare 5.x, refer to the following steps.

1. Type BESTOP at the system console and unload the Backup Exec module

2. Unload TSA500.NLM
Unload TSANDS.NLM
Unload NDMPD.NLM

3. Unload SMDR.NLM

4. Delete all the contents of the SYS:SYSTEM\TSA\*.* directory

5. If required run DSREPAIR on the server

6. Run LOAD SMDR NEW command on server console and configure with following options:

a. Disable NDS = Yes,

b. Disable SLP = No,

c. Disable SAP = No.

d. Disable Name Resolution = No.

In order to reconfigure SMDR on Netware 6.0 server refer the following steps:

2. Unload TSA600.NLM
Unload TSANDS.NLM
Unload NDMPD.NLM

3. Unload SMDR

4. Delete all the contents of SYS:SYSTEM\TSA\*.* directory

6. Run LOAD SMDR NEW command on server console and configure with following options:

a. Disable NDS = Yes,

b. Disable SLP = No,

c. Disable SAP = No.

d. Disable Name Resolution = No.

In order to reconfigure SMDR on Netware 6.5 server refer the following steps:

2. Unload TSAFS.NLM
Unload TSANDS.NLM
Unload VOLSMS.NLM

3. Unload SMDR

4. Delete all the contents of the SYS:SYSTEM\TSA\*.* directory.

a. Disable NDS = Yes

b. Disable SLP = No

c. Disable SAP = No

d. Disable Name Resolution = No

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Josh_Krueger
Level 3
We tried this and it did not make any difference.

Josh

Gauri_Ketkar
Level 6
Hi,

-can you please give the version of the remote agent running on the NetWare 5.x Servers ?
*from the Sys:\ BKUPEXEC \version.doc

Thank you
Gauri

Additional Information :

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.