cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

system?state unable to attach to a resource - access to device error

Systems_Admin3
Level 2
We have 10.1d recently upgraded from 8.6 Backup Exec for Windows Servers.

We have been receiving the following errors since we upgraded:-
When we go to the job setup/selections/resource credentials and test all, we get -
"Access to the device is not authorized in this edition of Backup Exec"

When we look at the System events we get the (generic) event 34113 from Backup exec.

The error we get from the job log is -
"
Final error: 0xe000848c - Unable to attach to a resource. Make sure that all selected resources exist and are online, and then try again.
Final error category: Resource Errors

For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-33932
"

with details -
"
Backup- E: DataUnable to attach to \\ourserver\System?State.
V-79-57344-33932 - Unable to attach to a resource. Make sure that all selected resources exist and are online, and then try again.
"

We have installed the license. We upgraded from 8.6 which was working fine.
In the selection list we have -
c:\*.* /SUBDIR
e:\*.* /SUBDIR
E:\xyz\**\received\*.* /subdir /exclude
\\ourserver\System?state\*.* /SUBDIR

I have looked at a number of tech articles but I admit to being a bit of a newby to all this so I might have missed something. I was told (by our security advisor) NOT to change the RESTRICT ANONYMOUS.

I have recreated the job from scratch (though using the same preset selection list) and done the test on resource credentials and got the same error.

Help!

Kevin Giles
5 REPLIES 5

Gauri_Ketkar
Level 6
Hi,

--While Upgrade have you installed Backup Exec Database on the same server in own MSDE or on SQL ?

--Can you also backup system state with NTBACKUP ?

--Was the Upgrade successful ?

--Which documents have you referred ?

Update us on the same and revert for any further Query
Hope this will help you

Thank you
Gauri

Gauri_Ketkar
Level 6
Hi,

--While Upgrade have you installed Backup Exec Database on the same server in own MSDE or on SQL ?

--Can you also backup system state with NTBACKUP ?

--Was the Upgrade successful ?

--Which documents have you referred ?

Update us on the same and revert for any further Query
Hope this will help you

Thank you
Gauri

Systems_Admin3
Level 2
Gauri,

We do not have MSDE or SQL on the machine
The upgrade was successful as far as we can see.
We have looked at a number of articles to do with allow anonymous, license not installed and so on ... we are still stuck

We have run NTBACKUP for just system state backup. This worked OK.

In Backup exec. I created a new job by copying hte actual selection list text and pasting into the new job. This failed in the same way.

When I try to create a new job using the wizard, the System State item is greyed. We have looked at the hints given when we click on this and have not got any of the problems listed (invalid version remote agent (we don't need the remote agent as it is this machine we are backing up), license not installed, etc.)

Any more thoughts as this is of great concern to us.

Kevin

Systems_Admin3
Level 2
Any further thoughts anyone?

This seems to be a commonly occurring error with a number of different potential causes. We believe we have tried the ones listed but it is taking an inordinately long time to get to the bottom of this. Fortunately for us, the system state is backed up last so the rest of our data is stored ok.

Is there no way the error messages could be made a bit more explicit of could someone produce an "idiots step-by-step guide" to trouble shooting this very frustrating error?

We really do not want to waste hours trying out any more potential solutions unless we can be given direct guidance to check IF we need to apply certain patches or actions.

Yours frustratedly,

Kevin

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello,

Verify that the user account specified exists on the resource being backed up/restored. Edit the backup/restore job on the Job Setup tab and select Resource Credentials.

Verify that the user account listed next to the resource exists on the resource being backed up/restored.

Verify that the password for the user account specified is correct. In Backup Exec, edit the backup/restore job on the Job Setup tab, click Resource Credentials, and click Change. Select the "Backup Exec Logon Account" used to back up/restore the resource, and click Edit. Click Change password and retype the password for the user account. Make sure that the password entered matches the password for the user account on the resource being backed up/restored.

Thank You,

Shweta