cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

trouble installing BE 2010 r3

VMF
Level 4

im trying to install a BE 2010 r3 sp1 on a freshly built 2008 R2 x64 server that is a member of the domain.

when i get to the server account step and i provide domain account credentials, i get "unable to authenticate with the user and password information given for domain\user".

it works fine in the test domain that has same gpos applied but fails in the prod env. i even disabled all GPOs and FW for the OU where the server resides. still the same error. i tried running the installer on the DC just to see if it will work, still the same error. im at a loss right now as to why it is not authenticating. any insight will be appreciated

35 REPLIES 35

VMF
Level 4

no errors pertaining to the problem

VMF
Level 4

anyone? i tried contacting support but the symantec support structure is so... not easy, cant open cases online, and the guy i spoke to  never called back...

VMF
Level 4

i think i found a record in the security log for this

audit failure event 4625 - NULL SID

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

I would suggest to remove the server from the domain, and add it again.

Or reinstall the server from scratch.

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Create an online case here:

https://mysupport.symantec.com/login.html

VMF
Level 4

its not this particular server, i get the same error form the installer when i run it on the DC

VMF
Level 4

cant do that either, called in no reply so far, makes me wonder, why am i paying for support???

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Pls provide me details of your support ticket...such as the case #

VMF
Level 4

thats the problem, i dont know the details, the guy i spoke to said he will email me the details, never received the email.

and i cant open the issue online either since it gives me

MySupport Application Error

The MySupport application has encountered a program error. You can either try again or contact  Symantec Technical Services

Thank you for your patience.

after i provide my technical contact ID.

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Would suggest to call Tech Support at +1 800 342 0652...There is hardly any wait time now...not more than 5 mins & you would be able to log a support case with the rep

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Have you tried downloading the installation media again ?

VMF
Level 4

the media works on my test domain and works on production domain when i select a local account instead of domain account. im not sure how BE installer is trying to auth against the AD, using kerberos or NTLM and what exactly is preventing it from doing so

VMF
Level 4

ok i found what was causing this. looking at evenid 4625 having subtype 0xc0000418 lead me to conclusion that DC is blocking NTLM.  original GPOs were restricing all but NTLM v2 and apparently BE, being in the 2010 r3 release still needs original very unsecure NTLM , which is a security flaw. i removed the gpo but not having policies defined is not enough for windows. since it kept ntlm blocked. i had to explicitly allow ALL kinds of incoming/outgoing ntlm traffic in the gpo to get BE installer to authenticate successfully.

VMF
Level 4

hmm, now it gets stuck at the serice account step without any errors. i click next, the back button gets grayed out for few seconds, then it becomes available again, but its not going anywhere

VMF
Level 4

restricting NTLM to NTLM v2 only works with BE

VMF
Level 4

by the way, symantec customer support sucks! i still did not get a call back and the woman who i opened the issue with was rude and uncooperative. she also opened the issue with the least priority available while i specifically told her that it does affect the bussinness. bad experience!