cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

unable to open the item \\remoteservername\\system?state\registry\software-skipped

aberndt
Level 3
This error started appearing daily about 1 month ago.  Backups were running great for about 1 1/2 years before this with no changes to anything.  The server is running BE 9.1 rev 4691 with a remote agent installed.  The error occurs backing up the system state on the remote server.  I updated the main server to SP5 yesterday and the problem still occurs.  I inherited this network so I'll try to provide some details and then maybe someone could assist me as I'm hesitant to just uninstall and reinstall everything without some guidance.  The main server is a database server running SQL 2000 (it also runs the software that runs our business), the remote server is a terminal server (Win2K).  The remote server has a BackUp Exec 9.1.4691 installation if you go to add/remove programs.  Is that the remote agent as is that where I should uninstall the remote agent from or should I do it from the main server???  The remote server launches the BackUp Exec setup wizard when you click on the desktop icon (I just clicked on cancel).  If I try to reinstall the remote agent by pushing it out from the main server, will that stop the SQL processes that are running on the main server?  If so, then I need to do this after hours.  Is this (uninstall and reinstall) even the right solution to the problem of the skipped file???  I apologize for all of the newbie questions.  Please let me know if I can provide any more information.  Thank you in advance for your help!!!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Hi there,

Have you looked at removing the RAWS agent, and then reinstalling it?
Sometimes the agent corrupts, and its not often considered as a potential problem.

Laters!

View solution in original post

24 REPLIES 24

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
Can you paste the entire error message you are seeing in the job log?

lyon
Level 5
hi,
Paste the entire error message shown in the jobs log. Sometimes this could be a permission issue. If your remote server is a windows server, can you make sure that the user account (the account that has been used to connect to the remote servers when backing up data) has sufficient access to the whole system partition of the remote server in which the system state is need to be backed up? Check security permssions (NTFS). When you check security permissions on the root drive, if it shows that account  has sufficient parmission to the root, go to the advanced security settings and at the permission tab, check the "Replace permission entreis on all child objects with entries shown here that apply to child objects" and apply settings. (Initially you can do this only to the system directory - C:\windows and test ) Be careful when doing this, make sure that there are no specially customized permission into the directories in this drive (such deny) since this action may reset all those settingswith the permission in the root drive.

Thanks 

Lyon

aberndt
Level 3
Thank you both for your suggestions.  Below is the error message from the job log.  The error began appearing daily on 11/16/2009.  Before that the backup job ran successfully.  I can't identify anything that happened that weekend that would cause this.

Backup - \\SPTS\System?State
Unable to open the item \\SPTS\System?State\Registry\software - skipped.

I was just checking permissions and I noticed that the group with full control of the root on this particular server is 'Everyone'.  I cannot find that group any where in my Active Directory (remember I inherited the network :))  I added Administrators and the actual BackUp Exec user account and gave them full control of the root.  I'm going to check through the Active Directory a little more carefully to see if I missed anything the first time but I'll post back tomorrow to let you know if changing the security helped.  Thank you again for your help!!!

aberndt
Level 3
Just to update...I received the exact same error after changing that permission.  Do you have any other suggestions???

lyon
Level 5
hi aberndt, Can you make sure that the account you have added has read access for who root drive ? (into root drive and all chile objects)?
Did you select "Replace permission entreis on all child objects with entries shown here that apply to child objects" option after addin the user?
One more advise for you!! Never allow everyone permission in a networked environment, it helps viruses to spread in the network.

Lyon

barrywohl
Level 2

I have been having this problem for about a month on my terminal services server Windows 2000 Server sp4, after no problems for 7 years.  The problem occurs either with backing up from the file server/domain controller with Backup Exec 12.5 and a remote agent, or with NTBACKUP on the terminal services server. 

I don't think it has anything to do with permissions, since backup worked for seven years on this server and nothing changed.  I know it is a Microsoft issue since it happens both with Backup Exec and with NTBACKUP.

It is intermittent.  I haven't found an answer on the internet or with Symantec support.

I hope someone has solved this.

aberndt
Level 3
Lyon - Sorry for the delay in responding.  I was out of the office for a couple of days.  I just selected the 'Replace Permission on all Child Objects' option.  I'll post back tomorrow and let you know what happens.  The 'Everyone' group is a left over from before I was hired...slowly I am cleaning these oddities up.

Barrywohl - This happens to be a Terminal Server with Windows 2000 sp4 on it also.  Have you found a solution???

aberndt
Level 3
I haven't forgotten about this problem...just got too busy to post.  The problem still persists.  Does anyone have any suggestions???

aberndt
Level 3
Now the backup job ran fine with no errors for 2 days.  On the 3rd day the problem returned.  No changes were made to the server or the backup exec configuration.

CraigV
Hi there,

Have you looked at removing the RAWS agent, and then reinstalling it?
Sometimes the agent corrupts, and its not often considered as a potential problem.

Laters!

aberndt
Level 3
Hi Craig - I am still having this problem and just now logged back in to check the status as I am having different problems with my other BackUp Exec installation (I have 2 installations and 2 drives).  Would uninstalling and reinstalling the RAWS agent require a reboot???  If so, I will have to schedule it.

CraigV
I have seen it NOT require a reboot, but I would rather schedule some downtime just to be safe. If you used Advanced Open File Option on that server, chances are good it's going to need a reboot.

aberndt
Level 3
Craig - I reinstalled the agent on the Remote Server.  I will update you tomorrow.  Thank you for your help!!!

aberndt
Level 3

Uninstalling and reinstalling did not work, I still get the same error.  Does anyone have any other suggestions???

CraigV
Did you perhaps push the RAWS agent out to the server in question again? It could possibly have some updates which are needed.

aberndt
Level 3
I just checked for available updates and there is service pack 4a that needs to be installed.  I have printed out the documentation and will read it tonight.  I am guessing that installing this will require a reboot of the main server, then I will have to reinstall (or re-push) the RAWS agent back out to the Remote Server...is that correct???  If so, I'll have to do it probably late Friday afternoon as the natives get cranky when I reboot the SQL Server during the day :)

pkh
   VIP    Certified
I am a bit confused.  Which of your servers is the media server? What are the operating systems on your servers?  Are they all Win 2000?  Finally, which one is having the problem, the one with SQL Server or the terminal server?

Do you also have Symantec Endpoint Protection installed on the offending server?

aberndt
Level 3
is the SQL Server.  The Terminal Server has the Remote Agent on it.  Both servers are Win 2000, BackUp Exec version is 9.1.  I do not have Symantec Endpoint Protection installed on any servers.

pkh
   VIP    Certified
I have a similar problem on my Win2000 Terminal Server.  However, the problem goes away when I uninstall Endpoint Protection.