cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

unix agent skipping files with chinese characters

Don_Hanneman
Level 2
Hello,

I am using the eval version of backupexec 10 on an english windows 2000 and the linux agent to backup a redhat 9 server. During our testing, we came across the following problem. We have a lot of chinese users that save files on the server with, of course, chinese characters in the name. Everything is fine, until I noticed that any file that has chinese characters in it's name is skipped. They do not show up in the backup selection list, but if all of the files in a directory are selected, the files with the chinese characters will return a permission denied error during the backup. The linux agent version I am using is 10.0.5520.ESD_277215

Any way to make this work.
5 REPLIES 5

priya_khire
Level 6
Hello,

What is the exact error you receive in the job log? Does the job succeed with exceptions or does it fail?
Also check for any errors in the event logs: apllication and system.

Do update on the above.

Regards.

Don_Hanneman
Level 2
Hello, the job succeed with exceptions. The error in the log is Access denied Y-79-57344-33928.

For example, if there are two files in the directory \home\stuff on a server named glutton, one with chinese characters in it's name, the above error is created. The file without the chinese characters is backed up, while the other is not. The exact error looks like this:

BACKUP \\glutton.mydomainname.com\
Y-79-57344-33928 - Access is denied
Access is denied to directory home/stuff/.Message was edited by:
Don Hanneman

priya_khire
Level 6
Hello,

Check for the following entry in the registry:
Software\VERITAS\Backup Exec\Engine\RALUS\Encoder=LATIN-1

You can verify in the ralus.cfg file. In case the entry is blank, you can add the LATIN -1 parameter after the = sign. Try the job after that and test the results.

Hope this helps. If the problem persists, you can write back to the forum. However if we do not receive your update within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Regards.

priya_khire
Level 6
Hello,

The entry Software\VERITAS\Backup Exec\Engine\RALUS\Encoder=LATIN-1 should be seen in the ralus.cfg and not the Registry. (that was mentioned by error.)

Awaiting your update on the above.

Regards.

Don_Hanneman
Level 2
Thanks, that fixed the problem. We are running different version of linux and have discovered that the ralus agent doesn't work with all the versions of linux that we use in house, namely fedora3 -64 bit. My search continues.

Thanks for the help during our eval of your product.