Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what is the difference between recycable and scratched

hhbahgat
Not applicable
Certified

Greetings all,

i was wondering about the difference between the recycable media and the the scratched media in the Media overwrite option.

could any one help, beside, what are the  basis on wich i should choose these options?

12 REPLIES 12

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

recycable media means overwritable (so it is used before with this backup exec installation), scratch media means it is never used.

Dev_T
Level 6

Hello,

Whenever a tape / media is not a member of any media set, such media/tape is in the Recyclable Media (set)

When the Overwrite protection period of a media/tape is over it automatically moves to the scratch media set.

Hope this helps...

Hywel_Mallett
Level 6
Certified

From your question, where you say:

Media overwrite option 

I assume you mean which should you choose for the option "Overwrite scratch media before overwriting recyclable media contained in the targeted media set".

Imagine you have three types of backup media:

• Media you have already used for a backup, which is protected by the Overwrite Protection Period (protected)
  • Media you have already used, which is no longer protected by the Overwrite Protection Period (recyclable)
  • Media you haven't used yet (scratch)

When you run a backup, Backup Exec has to decide what media to use. It can't use protected media, so it next has to decide whether to look for recyclable media, or scratch media. If you select the "Overwrite scratch media..." option, it'll look for scratch media first, otherwise it'll look for recyclable media first.

If you are backing up to tape, with this option selected, Backup Exec will  tend to use all your tapes. Without it selected, it'll reuse media where possible, before using a new tape.

If you are backing up to disk, with this option selected, Backup Exec will create a new Backup-to-disk file each time it runs a backup. Without it selected Backup Exec will  overwrite old files where it can.

That's a bit of a simplification, and you'd be well advised to read chapter 4 of the Backup Exec Administrator's Guide.

Personally I think it's much better to have this option deselected, and I struggle to think of any advantage of selecting it.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Whenever a tape / media is not a member of any media set, such media/tape is in the Recyclable Media (set)

There is no such thing as a Recyclable Media set.  The closest to this is the scratch media set.

When the Overwrite protection period of a media/tape is over it automatically moves to the scratch media set.

Definitely not true.  A media will belong to the media set that it belongs to regardless of whether it is overwriteable or not.  It will not move automatically to the scratch media set.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Both statements are not true.

recycable media means overwritable (so it is used before with this backup exec installation),

Recycleable media means a overwriteable media in a media set, other than the scratch media set.

scratch media means it is never used.

When the media is in the scratch media set, it is called scratch media, regardless of whether it is used or not used before.

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Recyclable media is a media with all expired backup images. Recyclable media will be used for overwrite operations by BE. But till that time backup images on that media will be available.

Scratch media will not be having any backup images/data. A media which belongs to scratch media set can be moved to any other media set by BE when required. You can erase all the data on a media by simply associating it with the scratch media set.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Scratch media will not be having any backup images/data. A media which belongs to scratch media set can be moved to any other media set by BE when required. You can erase all the data on a media by simply associating it with the scratch media set.

This entire paragraph is definitely not true.  Moving a media to the scratch media set does not erase it.  Scratch media which has backup data will have them until they are overwritten.

Please check your facts.

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

@pkh

A media which belongs to scratch media set can be moved to any other media set by BE when required.

I think the above statement is correct. Isn't it?

As per your advice let me check the remaining.

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

As backup to PKH - his corrections to everyone else's statements are the best explanation on here. Just be careful to understand how Backup Exec chooses what media to overwrite based on the settings inside Backup Exec - the different settings and their effect are covered in a table located in the Managing media section of the admin guide.

Oh and if all this helps please eunsure to mark one of PKH's answers as a solution.

Hywel_Mallett
Level 6
Certified

Oh and if all this helps please eunsure to mark one of PKH's answers as a solution. 

Assuming that one of them answers the original question of course ;)

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Recyclable Media: Media that is assigned to a media set but has expired overwrite protection periods.

Scratch Media: Media that are not associated with a media set and that can be overwritten. Scratch media includes new or blank media, erased media etc

pkh
   VIP    Certified

I think you finally got it.