cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

why my job failed

roh234
Level 5
Partner Accredited

why my job is failed. my server in which backup exec is installed,i have attached my SAN LUN to the backup exec server its a H DRIVE ,but when i am running the job its failed.

when i am choosing "append to the media,terminates the job if no applicable media is avilable"

my lun has 10 gb left,kindly find the attached job failure notice,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

I beleive you have a Backup to disk folder created on the H drive which is your SAN LUN . When you run append job , it look for a media which can be appended. Eg if you are running a backup job on a tape which has some data already written to it , the job will append to it and if the tape is new the job will not run as it need to overwrite.

When you run backup to a backup to disk folder there are bkf files created (IMG folder for GRt backup). You can consider 1 bkf file as 1 tape . The size of the bkf file is defined in the backup to disk folder properties , by default the vaule is 4 gb and if you ran a backup job of 22gb , the backup job would create 5 bkf file of 20 gb and 1bkf file of 2 gb . Depending upon the media set property this 2gb file can be appended by another backup job and if the backup job is set to append and terminate if no appendable media is found, then the backup would fail if does not find any bkf file which can be appended . But its better if the new backup job create a new set of bkf files , so it would be convenient for media management .Also check if you have set any reserver space for the backup to disk folder.    ,. IF you are running a

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

Post the error message from the job log. What data you are backing up?

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

I beleive you have a Backup to disk folder created on the H drive which is your SAN LUN . When you run append job , it look for a media which can be appended. Eg if you are running a backup job on a tape which has some data already written to it , the job will append to it and if the tape is new the job will not run as it need to overwrite.

When you run backup to a backup to disk folder there are bkf files created (IMG folder for GRt backup). You can consider 1 bkf file as 1 tape . The size of the bkf file is defined in the backup to disk folder properties , by default the vaule is 4 gb and if you ran a backup job of 22gb , the backup job would create 5 bkf file of 20 gb and 1bkf file of 2 gb . Depending upon the media set property this 2gb file can be appended by another backup job and if the backup job is set to append and terminate if no appendable media is found, then the backup would fail if does not find any bkf file which can be appended . But its better if the new backup job create a new set of bkf files , so it would be convenient for media management .Also check if you have set any reserver space for the backup to disk folder.    ,. IF you are running a

roh234
Level 5
Partner Accredited

V-79-57344-33037

No applicable media could be mounted, physical media library voulme not found, 

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

I agree with Rahul, Backup jobs should work fine if you configure the job to "overwrite" or

"Appened, else overwrite if no appendable media available" 

yusufusmani
Level 4

Good Explanation here Rahul....

But i will be greate if roh234 can explains his backup scenario and the configuration of B2D.

what exactly he is up is he selected the proper source device or not etc...

roh234 can please explain ur issue.

roh234
Level 5
Partner Accredited

ok so ok according to you.my data is 6 GB then bydefault it will create 2 bkf file of 4 gba and 2 gb. so now when ever i do any change in the folder which i want to backup.that backup will be added(APPANDED) in that 2 gb .bkf file.right now my job failed because there is no .bkf file in this lun that y my job is geeting failed

THANKS PERFECT REPLY.

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

Yes that's right . Many people get confuse with append setting for backup to disk folder .

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

I have always recommended that Append NOT be used with Disk based backups

This is because when you append, the expiration date on the current BKF file, as well as all previously appended files clear back to the origianl Overwrite file, is changed. 

Thus if you have a media set with an OPP of 13 days, meaning you want to keep 2 weeks of data on file), and run all your jobs as APPEND, then if your jobs have been running for four weeks, none of them will expire until 13 days from the last run date, ie you have 6 weeks of data on file.

This will continue until the entire disk fills up, and you will not be able to run any more jobs until you manually delete some of your backups