Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Failover on bonding interface

kat1234
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Dear all,

I configure a virtual interface which is on top of a bonding interface (two nic). I find VCS don't trigger any action when I unplug both nic. It's because the bond0 still show UP status even I disconnect the two nic. I would like to know if there is a way that VCS will trigger failover when it find both nics are disconnected?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

I would guess your issue is that you are using MultiNIC rather NIC or have set NetworkHosts attribute of NIC resource to a local IP on the host.

If VCS is managing a single virtual interface then you should be using the NIC resource, as oppose to MultiNIC resource.  

If you are using NIC resource, then it should fail if you disconnect the 2 NICs. as regardless of the status of the NIC, you won't be able to ping if both interfaces are down and this is how NIC agent tests the resource - it pings the broadcast address, if NetworkHosts attribute is not set, else it pings IP(s) in the NetworkHosts attribute, so if you are still having issues, then populate NetworkHosts attribute with persistent hosts such as gateways and DNS servers.

Mike

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Gaurav_S
   VIP    Certified

Hello,

Can you paste the main.cf file, need to know what is the current setup.

Ideally NIC is a persistent resource (which can't be turned off ) so best practice is to use a separate parallel service group for NIC with a phantom device configured in it to monitor the status of that group

G

Gaurav_S
   VIP    Certified

Here is what you can do

1. create a parallel service group with NIC resource in configured with bond interface .. for e.g

)
NIC NIC_test (
Device = bond0
)

create a phantom resource to monitor this NIC. You must create a Phantom resource in this service group to display the correct state of the service group.

type Phantom (
)

Here is how a service group will look like

https://sort.symantec.com/public/documents/sfha/6.0/linux/productguides/html/vcs_bundled_agents/ch06s04s01.htm

This is it for the group containing NIC & phantom.  You can create proxy resources in data service groups pointing to above NIC in parallel service group...

G

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

I would guess your issue is that you are using MultiNIC rather NIC or have set NetworkHosts attribute of NIC resource to a local IP on the host.

If VCS is managing a single virtual interface then you should be using the NIC resource, as oppose to MultiNIC resource.  

If you are using NIC resource, then it should fail if you disconnect the 2 NICs. as regardless of the status of the NIC, you won't be able to ping if both interfaces are down and this is how NIC agent tests the resource - it pings the broadcast address, if NetworkHosts attribute is not set, else it pings IP(s) in the NetworkHosts attribute, so if you are still having issues, then populate NetworkHosts attribute with persistent hosts such as gateways and DNS servers.

Mike