Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IO fencing in campus cluser architecture with two separate disk arrays

CooL_2
Level 2
Partner Accredited Certified

Dear Guru

We have two separate sites connected via SAN and network. Each site contains a server and a disk array. These all runs SFRAC 5.0 and Oracle RAC. IO fencing and data volumess are now configured at one of arrays (the first site). There are 3 coordinator disks. All c. disks are on the first array. We plan to mirror all the volumes for Oracle datafiles across the sites. But I have no idea how to avoid the second site suicide if the first site is powered off completly. We unable to mirror coordinate disks across the diffetent disk arrays at hardware level. VXVM mirroring is either prohibited. Placing 2 coordinators at the first array and 1 at the second doesn't solve the problem. If the first site goes down the second one is just unable to access 2 coordinate devices in the race and also panics and reboots.

I also found some stuff in the docs:

VERITAS Cluster Server 4.1 User’s Guide Solaris
"Note that you cannot use SCSI III fencing in a two-site campus cluster. You must have an additional site to distribute the coordinator disks"

Veritas™ Cluster Server Release Notes Solaris 5.0 Maintenance Pack 1

Campus cluster support ....

"Symantec recommends using I/O fencing in campus clusters"

Somewhere

"iSCSI devices are supported in IO fencing"

But we do have no another sites :)  Are there any means  in VCS like remote quorum systems? Do they support IO fencing?

Thank you in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

bsobek
Level 5

Hi Cool,

if you have a small test-lab or something like this (not in one of your datacenters), you can install a small server as iscsi-target, install 5.0MP3 at your cluster and use an iscsi-device as 3rd fencing disk. You can take a look at the release notes of VCS 5.0MP3, Page 15) (ftp://ftp.entsupport.symantec.com/pub/support/documentation/vcs_notes_sol.pdf) and the other VCS documents how to configure this.

This is a new feature. So I don't think that many customers use this at this moment and there aren't enough expriences with this, but it could be a possibility for you for the future.

Greets

Björn

Message Edited by bsobek on 10-28-2008 02:09 AM

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Roger_Zimmerman
Level 4

Hi CooL,

you are touching the only unsolved problematic point in using I/O fencing with your posting. In general, there is no remote instance in campus clusters like the stewart in global clusters. Global clusters have a quite similar problem as well. They solve it via the so called stewarts.

Fencing is based on the majority of accessible coordinator disks. And if they have to be distributed, then they have to be distributed via an uneven number of locations. Thats completely true, you have found the only possible solution. But this sounds uglier than it really is.

First you can make a third "site" only by putting one very small storage system on one of your locations in "a seperate fire protection area" with a seperate power plug (from a different power phase, if it is possible). Probably with an own fibrechannel switch.  On some customer sites we realised this by having some very small Lampertz fireproof box. Ok, but this is somewhat costly.

Second, you have to think about the basic mechanisms again. There is no solution for this problem from the technical point of view. But the theoretical vision tells you, that an application breakdown because of losing all fencing disks (and an subsequentially booting of the surviving system afterwards without I/O fencing) is much better then a possible split brain (especially when the raid systems are mirrored and accessible from both sides of the cluster interconnect, on both sides of the network partition) with all the possible corruptions to the data. Because if you have two working sites after a network partition there is much more damage to the company because of inconsistant sets of data, what is nearly impossible to integrate into each other again, than by a downtime of some minutes. Additianlly the operators can decide in such a situation which site is to be started again.

So, please understand I/O fencing as a tool for preventing data corruption, not increasing the availability of the applications. In fact, you have to decide which one is more important. For you. And your company (customer).

I know exactly that this is not the message you wanted to hear, but from my point of view it is better to have a higher data protection than a higher availability. Luck are only this people who can have both. But this also means putting some money to the hardware.

Sorry for the bad news, but anyway have some good time

Roger

bsobek
Level 5

Hi Cool,

if you have a small test-lab or something like this (not in one of your datacenters), you can install a small server as iscsi-target, install 5.0MP3 at your cluster and use an iscsi-device as 3rd fencing disk. You can take a look at the release notes of VCS 5.0MP3, Page 15) (ftp://ftp.entsupport.symantec.com/pub/support/documentation/vcs_notes_sol.pdf) and the other VCS documents how to configure this.

This is a new feature. So I don't think that many customers use this at this moment and there aren't enough expriences with this, but it could be a possibility for you for the future.

Greets

Björn

Message Edited by bsobek on 10-28-2008 02:09 AM

CooL_2
Level 2
Partner Accredited Certified

Hi again. iSCSI is a real solution now, but too few OS and arrays are supported

ftp://exftpp.symantec.com/pub/support/products/Foundation_Suite/283161.pdf

Nevertheless I have some good news. We just have to wait for a while:

"Our roadmap is to release Coordination Point Server (CPS) which is a software based

quorum solution". It is to be available in 5.5 release soon. Thank you for you realistic honest posts!