cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Integrating Oracle Enterprise Manager 10.1 Grid Agent into VCS

M_Aziz
Level 4

Dear All

Our DBA has installed OEM Grid agents to monitor/manage the database ,and forwad me one Oracle White paper pdf "Configuring Oracle Enterprise Manager 10.1 Agents for Use in Active/Passive Environments" to intergrate them into cluster. 

Is there any special agent for that, ?  What is best way to hook OEM agent into VCS, without affecting my other Critical Oracle resourse.

Thanks & Regards

JM 

6 REPLIES 6

TomerG
Level 6
Partner Employee Accredited Certified
The best resource type for custom applications is the Application resource (on UNIX; it would be the Process resource on Windows), which allows you to have custom start, stop, clean, and monitor scripts for any application. See the Bundled Agents Reference Guide.

Similar thread: https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/monitoring-cluster-resources 

sechevarria
Level 2
We run AIX and I used the application resource to set up a custom script that runs the start and stop agent options.  I also set up a different mount point on each box for the agent to be on the safe side so that we didn't get any concurrency violation errors. ie:  /agt01 on node 1, /agt02 on node 2, etc. 

Gaurav_S
   VIP    Certified
Hello,

No specific agent, using application agent would be the best option as suggested by Tomer..

Gaurav

TomerG
Level 6
sechevarria, take note: using different mount points for different servers does not prevent data corruption due to concurrency errors caused by split-brain. Even if the mountpoint was different on different servers, you'd still have the database or applicaiton running simultaneously on both hosts (not to mention your volume manager and the file system itself) and this in itself would cause data corruption if it is on shared storage.

The only way to completely ensure data safety from concurrency and split-brain is I/O Fencing being implemented in VCS. Otherwise, just do your best to prevent split-brain by using public network low-priority LLT heartbeats, etc.  Another 'trick' people used to do was to put the IP resource at the bottom of the service group tree, since the IP resource does a ping before bringing up the IP (in case of duplicate IPs on the network). That's fine, but public network low-priority heartbeats are a better workaround.

sechevarria
Level 2
Hi Tomer.  I absolutely agree!  I should have mentioned that we are not using shared storage and that we are, indeed, using the LLT heartbeats as you suggest.  Thanks!  P.S.  I've learned a lot by reading your posts.  : )

TomerG
Level 6
In that case you should come attend a course. I'm in Sydney, so it'll probably make for a good holiday as well :)

Cheers,
Tomer