cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lanman controlling multiple IP addresses within a parallel service group

Tom_Maher
Level 3
We have a 4-node cluster consisting of a parallel service group that provides contains a generic service resource. We currently publish the IP address of all 4 nodes as CNAME records in DNS. We would like to have VCS control the online and offline of these records in a wide-area failover.

I've variously tried 1 NIC resource containing the MAC addresses of all 4 nodes, 4 IP resources (one for each node) as parents of the NIC and a lanman resource as a parent of the IP resources but (obviously, I think) the IP resources won't online (as the service group is parallel).

Any ideas how would we acheive this?
4 REPLIES 4

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Tom,

Did you try configuring only 1 IP resource in service group as to it's Address values are specific to each node? I'm quite newbie of VCS for Windows, but I know it's possible to configure on VCS for Unixs.

Ben_Henderson
Level 2
Accredited Certified
Tom,

I've had success changing DNS records with a Trigger using the dnscmd.exe utility...

http://technet2.microsoft.com/WindowsServer/en/Library/5c497b2e-3387-4ecf-adf5-562045620a961033.mspx?mfr=true

Perhaps a preonline trigger at the primary site to register those IPs before the SG comes online, then a preonline at the DR site so that it would change them before the SG comes online. You could get really cute.

Tom_Maher
Level 3
Hi Ben, we ended up doing pretty much exactly that, albeit with the process resource running vbscript rather than a trigger (my perl isn't the finest). Online calls dnscmd /recordadd, offline calls dmscmd /recorddelete and monitor calls dmscmd /enumrecord. Seems to work fine!

Ben_Henderson
Level 2
Accredited Certified
Fantastic!

That is a pretty slick way as well!

I'll have to park that in my bag of tricks!

Cheers