cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Preonline_ipc on AIX

Andrea_Colombo
Level 3
Hi all, if someone of you is interested in implementing the "preonline_ipc" script in a cluster running on AIX, be aware that the script has been developped on SUN SOLARIS....
As a matter of fact, it launches a "sun ping", waiting for an "alive" answer...not considering that in Aix the ping command goes on indefinitely...

So, you have to modify the ping's flags to get a response in a finite time....

Bye and good luck for the next trigger you need ;)

Andrea
8 REPLIES 8

Jim_Senicka
Level 3
better would be to use I/O fencing and get away from preonline_ipc altogether

Andrea_Colombo
Level 3
Hi Jim, why are you telling this? ;-(

Have you some kind of bad experience with preonline_ipc on Aix? Honestly I can't see any problem with it (now that it works) but I might be wrong....

Any suggestion/experience is welcome!!

When I spoke with Veritas people here I have been told that they have not experience in I/O fencing on Aix....so I am afraid to implement it...

You know, I have noticed that Veritas has not much experience on Cluster on Aix...

I have some open cases they have never closed...according to me because they always refer to Sun/Windows, and, when the problem is strictly related with Aix OS, I never get a solution...

Thanks a lot for your help, Andrea

Jim_Senicka
Level 3
Most people use preonline_ipc as a way to check to IP resource to make sure another node is not active with the IP as a very low level check for a potential split brain.
I/O fencing 100% removes the chance of a split brain, making the preonline not needed......

Andrea_Colombo
Level 3
Yes I know...but as I told you I am not so confident to implement I/O fencing on Aix....

Do you have some experience in I/O on Aix? Does it work?

Thanks!

Andrea

Sandy_Zaremski
Level 3
Certified
I have implemented IO fencing on AIX with VCS4.0. It works

Andrea_Colombo
Level 3
WOW good news.

Which disk array are you using?

Thanks, Andrea

Sandy_Zaremski
Level 3
Certified
I'm using HP XP storage.( XP128 and XP12000) The key is to make sure your array is in the supported list that Veritas has on the web site.

Andrea_Colombo
Level 3
Thank you, I will let you know!

bye bye