cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows Printserver losing attributes

Hywel_Mallett
Level 6
Certified
We have our Print services clustered using VCS. Operation has been fine for months, however he had cause to fail the print services to another cluster node. I found that when this happened, all the printers lost the "Publish this printer in the directory" attribute. All printers had this set before failover, and none had it set after failover.
I was wondering if anyone else had experienced this problem, and if so, have you been able to resolve it?
This is on VCS 4.3 (without MP1).
5 REPLIES 5

Tom_Maher
Level 3
Is the node you failed to on a different subnet from the node you failed from?

Hywel_Mallett
Level 6
Certified
No, they are both on the same subnet.
I actually found now that I can't re-enable the "List this printer in the directory" option. I can put the tick in the box, click OK, but it doesn't retain that attribute.

Drew_Tipton_2
Level 3
Has anything changed in your environment?
Had you ever tested failover before this point in time?

And, of course, the obligatory question--have you opened a support ticket? :)

-Drew Tipton
Supportability Engineer, SFW + SFW-HA
Symantec

Hywel_Mallett
Level 6
Certified
Some things have changed in the environment - one of the Cluster nodes was rebuilt recently.
Failover was tested, but this issue was not specifically tested for.
Not opened a support ticket yet, because I'm not 100% sure whether this is a VCS issue, or actually a Windows issue.

Tom_Maher
Level 3
I'd suspect it's Windows as opposed to VCS and the reason I asked about the subnet change was as prior to clustering we recently moved our print server farm from one floor (and subsequently subnet) to split over others (with different subnets) and experienced exactly the same issue (the "List in directory" attribute becoming unchecked).