Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

debug.log with several ifconfig messages

Maurizio_Casu_2
Level 3
Hi all,

on a AIX server, running with SFHA 5.0,
every minutes (60 seconds is the MonitorInterval of IPMultinic) I have several notice in /usr/local/log/debug.log file saying:
Jun  7 10:27:09 boro user:info syslog: /usr/sbin/ifconfig en2
Jun  7 10:27:09 boro user:info syslog: /usr/sbin/ifconfig en0
Jun  7 10:27:19 boro user:info syslog: /usr/sbin/ifconfig -a

Jun  7 10:28:09 boro user:info syslog: /usr/sbin/ifconfig en2
Jun  7 10:28:09 boro user:info syslog: /usr/sbin/ifconfig en0
Jun  7 10:28:19 boro user:info syslog: /usr/sbin/ifconfig -a

In engine_A.log and IPMultiNIC.log there's no evidence of that operations. If I stop the cluster deamons (hastop -local -force) I haven't the messages ...

How can I prevent the "redirect" of those messages? And why VCS has to log continuosly its "ifconfig" operations in debug.log?

Tnx

2 REPLIES 2

Maurizio_Casu_2
Level 3
Hi all,

I've seen in /etc/syslog.conf that in debug.log file the OS was redirecting these:
*.debug;*.emerg;*.alert;*.crit;*.err;*.warning;*.notice;*.info;auth.none  /usr/local/logs/debug.log rotate time 1d files 7auth.debug /usr/local/logs/auth.log rotate time 1d files 7
Ifconfig is classified as "user.info" so, to avoid all those entries I've modified /etc/syslog.conf as below:
user.info /usr/local/logs/UserInfo.log rotate size 50k files 4
*.debug;*.emerg;*.alert;*.cri
;*.err;*.warning;*.notice;mail.info;deamon.info; kern.info;auth.none  /usr/local/logs/debug.log rotate time 1d files 7auth.debug /usr/local/logs/auth.log rotate time 1d files 7
daemon.info /var/log/vx.log rotate size 50k files 4
You need also to refresh syslogd by "refresh -s syslogd".

Gene_Henriksen
Level 6
Accredited Certified
Maurizio thanks for that input.

VCS checks the IP being up every 60 seconds, by default. In your case the OS is logging it, as you noted. Perhaps your note should be in the user documentation.