cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DLO7 agent installation - push or local - errors and rollback

Altair
Level 4

We just upgraded our DLO server to 7, and I am trying to upgrade our agents to the new version, as well.  Upon either a push installation from the server, or a local installation on the client(s), we run into an error 1325 "Documents is not a valid short file path", and the installers rolls back all changes (including the version of the agent that was previously there).  The clients are Win7 SP1 x64, the server is 2008R2.  Is this a known issue with DLO 7?
 How can I get around this and restore our DLO backups?

The event logs from a sample client are attached.

(PS: I realize DLO isn't part of BE2012, but that was the closest option available in the drop down)

18 REPLIES 18

SuperBrain
Employee Accredited

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH186435 - After migration to Symantec Desktop and Laptop Option (SDLO) 7.0 existing Backup Exec 2010 DLO Agent throws an Unspecified error and client doesn't launch on it's own at the startup.

This technote refers a couple of etracks. So this is a known issue.

Please subscribe to this technote and Symantec will keep you up to date on this issue.

SuperBrain
Employee Accredited

DLO 7 is not a part of Backup Exec 2012.

DLO 7 is a seperate independent product. It has its own Product Landing Page - http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=landing&key=61042

Please save this to your favourites, any search attempts on the above link will only return DLO 7 technotes in results. I'm sure this will help you in case you need to search something related to DLO7 in future. smiley

Altair
Level 4

I'll check it out - but it sound like that's an issue with the agent starting up - I can't even get it to install.

Altair
Level 4

Yes, see the postscript on my initial posting.

Altair
Level 4

Yeah, that's for starting the agent.  My posting is about installing the agent.

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Check if apprpriate values are present under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\ or not especially the value of favorites under shell folders & user shell folders

Altair
Level 4

What are the appropriate values, and which HKCU hive should I look in for pushing the agent remotely?

VJware
Level 6

Look under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\

and then, first look under Shell Folders & also under User Shell Folders...typically, if you have setup folder redirection, this error usually occurs...

if you would pls paste the install log file, let me check which value specifically is different...

Altair
Level 4

Yep, we're using folder redirection.  Unfortunately the machine is off at the moment and I'm on travel the rest of the week.  Is the required information available in the Event Log export I've already attached? If not,  I will post the log file as soon as possible. Thanks!

Altair
Level 4

Here is the install log. Thanks for your help!

VJware
Level 6

Thank you for the logs...

I can see folder redirection being set for the Favorites Folder & it points to a network share...as a workaround if possible, break the redirection for one single client & check if the DLO install completes or not...

Altair
Level 4

Not really, our GPO's are all pretty ingrained.  Even if I could, that wouldn't help we as I can't go around to every machine in the enterprise and temporarily break redirection.  But on this advice, I decided to install as local admin and it worked. Still going to be a huge pain, but at least we don't have to reconfigure our entire AD to make it work.

Altair
Level 4

Oops, spoke too soon.  It got all the way through the installer, and then said it had to undo everything.  So I don't think redirection is the problem.

Altair
Level 4

Bump

Altair
Level 4

On a clean Win7 install, this installer gets all the way to "Publishing product information", sits there for about ten minutes, and then gives me the error in the attached screenshot.  Is SDLO really this big of a step back from the previous version?  Is Symantec trying to get everyone to stop using this product?  Is there a better alternative?

ShyamKrishnegow
Level 4
Employee

As prerequisite we need to install the Visual studio Redistributable 2005.

If it is an 64 bit machine and MS outlook version is 32bit  then install 32bit version of  Visual studio Redistributable 2005.

If it is an 64 bit machine and MS outlook version  is 64 bit then install 64bit version of  Visual studio Redistributable 2005.

If it is an 32 bit machine then install 32bit version of  Visual studio Redistributable 2005.

Let me know if you still face the issue?

Altair
Level 4

I'm assuming this is mis-posted, since I have a very hard time believing I need Visual Studio 2005 installed in order to install DLO 7.

I have been working for the last week with Symantec to try to figure this out, so if anyone else is experience this problem, please stand by.

NeerThadarai
Level 5

This could usually be the reason of any unsuccessfull uninstall or install of some MSI pkgs which would have left faulty registry keys.

Probably you can check this http://support.microsoft.com/kb/970652

From the install log it shows the following error:

=====================
MSI (s) (38:F8) [14:29:43:465]: Note: 1: 1325 2: Documents
Action start 14:29:43: CostFinalize.
MSI (s) (38:F8) [14:29:43:465]: Product: Symantec DLO Desktop Agent -- Error 1325.Documents is not a valid short file name.

Error 1325.Documents is not a valid short file name.
Action ended 14:29:43: CostFinalize. Return value 3.

=====================================

Try this MS article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/328162

Hope this helps.