cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4,194,303 in "Quota Used" column on report?

bobby_hilliard
Level 5
Just a quick question: when running a report only against my top 50 mailboxes, any of them with a mailbox size exceeding 4gb reported "4,194,303" in the Quota Used column on the report. Mailboxes under 4gb report the "correct" figure in this column. Note that the "Quota Limit" and "% of Quota Free" columns both show UNDEFINED.

AFAIK, I'm not using quota-based, as we have no size limits on the server.   ;-(
--- my interpretation of quota based: with size limits in place, archiving is done when a % threshold is reached---

Archive settings: over 6 months, all message classes except IPM.Activity, Appointment, Contact, Stickynote and REPORT.IPM. Ignoring unexpired calendar items, and > 250mb sizes.

I'm still struggling with trying to use the reporting to help me plan EV space usage, but have seen some strange results.

Any thoughts are welcomed.
5 REPLIES 5

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
I'm pretty sure this Limit is exposed via MSSQL Database Type "int".

/Michel

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.

bobby_hilliard
Level 5
Thanks for the reply. I'd never considered that it could be a field type limitation. But, while looking a little further at the "int" field type, I found this:

int            -2^31 (-2,147,483,648) to 2^31-1 (2,147,483,647)     4 Bytes

i.e. - approx 2 gb, about half of what's being reported.

(The "bigint" field type goes to 2^63...too big to type here.)

But, you're point is well taken. At first, I thought that the code behind the report might have some sort of limit, but now I wonder if there's something "behind the scenes" causing it. I would hope that the report function would process and report...but not actually store in the database.

Another tidbit...

for a very large...out of control...mailbox on our system (15+gb), when archiving (reporting) over 6 months old, the Total Size of Archivable Items is much smaller than the Size of Items Ready To Archive...which I don't think should be possible...

I've seen this sort of convoluted reporting on mailboxes that are UNDER the 4gb mark also...but the repeated value in the Quota Used column looked rather suspicious to me.

I may just have to live with it.

Thanks.

Message Edited by bobby hilliard on 03-05-2008 07:46 AM

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Bobby

It may be an unsigned int (no negative numbers allowed), this way, it would double the amount from 2gb to 4 gb.

/Michel

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.

bobby_hilliard
Level 5
I hear you. Doing a little more digging, the Exch mailbox size field in dbo.ExchangeMailboxEntry table appears to be reporting KB. It's also defined as an INT type. (the report also shows KBs).

Wouldn't that mean the upper limit of the INT field would "represent" terabytes (signed or unsigned)?

The example value for INT was: 2,147,483,647...approx 2 TB.

So, it doesn't look like it would max out.

Still looking around...

bobby_hilliard
Level 5
At the risk of sounding like a broken record...just take a look at what I see when running a report. (archive all, archive deleted, ALL message types, ignore unexpired calendar entries, 250mb max)

Exch MB size: 4,672, 844
Exch # items:  25,884

Report results:
# archivable items: 25,121
size archivable items: 435,684
# ready to archive: 25,098
size ready to archive: 167,305
quota limit: undefined
quota used: 4,194,303
% quota free: undefined

(This tells me that archiving by quota is not being used. )

So, how are the two "size" field values on the report possible with such a large mailbox? Taken at face value, 97% of the messages are considered "archivable items", but only 9% of the mailbox size is reported as the size of those "archivable items". I truly find that hard to believe.

I've opened cases with Symantec, but so far, nothing much to go on. That's why I created this topic...when I saw that the "Quota used" field apparently maxes out at 4,194,303...and thought it might be pertinent to explaining the discrepancies.

This is my quest...