cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Applying a new policy to a current archive

Jill_Jones
Level 4
I am applying a new policy to a mailbox that is already archived. (I am bascially changing the date of emails to archive from 6 months old to 2 weeks old and the indexing from full to brief)

The policy then archives all mail older than 2 weeks and did a brief index on any new archives, but mail that had been already archived still had full indexing applied.

Is there an easy way to get the new policy to apply to the already archived email, or do I need to restore and rearchive this mail to get the new policy to apply to it?

Thanks!

Jill Jones
5 REPLIES 5

Micah_Wyenn
Level 6
Jill,
A non-recommended alternate solution would be to blow away the indexes manually, and use indexreplay (or like tool) to rebuild the indexes at the brief level.

micah

Lee_Allison
Level 6
Jill, depends on which part of the policy you want to apply. If it's only the indexing level you are worried about then yes, rebuild and life's good.

However, if you need both the indexing level AND the date criteria to apply then you're going to have to unarchive, and rearchive everything. Hopefully you don't have to do that though.

Jill_Jones
Level 4
So How do I blow away the indexes and rebuild them?

Michael_Bilsbor
Level 6
Accredited
Hi,

You can either use IndexVolumeReplayManager (I think it's called)

Micah_Wyenn
Level 6
Yeah,
it should be in your default install directory, usually c:\program files\Enterprise vault

Be sure to turn off any current archiving tasks, as well as put the vault in to read only mode before you do this. You don't want to have writes possible when you're doing a rebuild.

micah