Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ArchivePoints not being created in FSA root folder

EVHolic
Level 5
Partner Certified
All,

I'm in the process of implementing FSA. I currently have a share on the file server which has a default share folders under the root share.

Share = "\\Data_server\Default Share

In the root of the default share there are multiple folders.

From EV I mount each folder as a volume with the correct policy, etc. But the sharepoint is not created automatically, as when I add subfolders under the volume.

I had to use archivepoints.exe utility to create archive points for the root folders and that seemed to do the trick.

Is this a default behavior or am I missing something in the EV console?

thanks for your help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

BravoZulu
Level 5
Hi EVHolic,

RahulG is suggesting that instead of using a Volume Policy, you use a Folder policy instead (with the "\").   You don't need to use archivepoints.exe to create an archivepoint at the root folder.  You target a volume with a volume policy and then traget specific folders (including the root one) with a folder policy (using the backslash "\").  With a folder policy you can choose one of the 4 options (i.e. 1. create an archive at the root, 2. Archive at the root inc. sub folders, each sub folder will have its own archive, 3. auto enable subfolders of the target, 4. No archive point).  I believe that if you use a volume policy for a root folder it will use option 4 by default (could be wrong there, anyone?).  So, as Rahul suggests, create a volumes policy first and target your drive (i.e. E$) and then use a folder policy to target a root folder on that volume (i.e. E:\). It does seem as though you're doubling up the work, but this is how it works as I understand it...

Hope that helps?

Thanks,
BZ

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

RahulG
Level 6
Employee
Try not  using a sub-shares under shares. use folder instead . check if that helps

EVHolic
Level 5
Partner Certified
Rahul,

I'm not really sure what you're asking me to do. Can you please elaborate?

BravoZulu
Level 5
Hi EVHolic,

RahulG is suggesting that instead of using a Volume Policy, you use a Folder policy instead (with the "\").   You don't need to use archivepoints.exe to create an archivepoint at the root folder.  You target a volume with a volume policy and then traget specific folders (including the root one) with a folder policy (using the backslash "\").  With a folder policy you can choose one of the 4 options (i.e. 1. create an archive at the root, 2. Archive at the root inc. sub folders, each sub folder will have its own archive, 3. auto enable subfolders of the target, 4. No archive point).  I believe that if you use a volume policy for a root folder it will use option 4 by default (could be wrong there, anyone?).  So, as Rahul suggests, create a volumes policy first and target your drive (i.e. E$) and then use a folder policy to target a root folder on that volume (i.e. E:\). It does seem as though you're doubling up the work, but this is how it works as I understand it...

Hope that helps?

Thanks,
BZ