cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE 12.5 and EV 8 Backups - archive bit not resetting?

Ryan_the_Red
Level 5
Partner

I'm not sure where the issue on this one lies so I will be cross posting in BE 12.5 and EV forums

We have an EV 8 install and are using BE 12.5 to back it up. The job is set to reset the archive bit, however the archive bit is not reset.

We are placing EV 8 in backup mode using the Powershell scripting mechanism and the BE 12.5 pre/post commands feature. I've observed that backup mode is successfully set during the job run.

However, after a Full Backup with a reset of the archive bit, none of the .DVS or other files have their archive bits cleared. The result is that every archived item is still pending.

Questions -

Does the Archive Bit Reset get blocked by EV 8's backup mode? i.e. is any change to the file system blocked by the backup mode, including the archive bit reset?

3 REPLIES 3

Ryan_the_Red
Level 5
Partner

Updates

- no, the archive bit reset does not get blocked by the Backup Mode

- This is a Win 2008 server, so it is possible UAC is getting in the way. Turned off UAC. Trying again.

TRALSH
Level 4
Employee

First, BE 12.5 does not yet support EV8 via the EVagent

ftp://exftpp.symantec.com/pub/support/products/Backup_Exec_for_WindowsNT/307063.pdf

That being said, I use it for testing in a lab using the EV agent and archive bit does reset.

I have "heard" some cases where after an upgrade of BE where the EV job existed prior to the BE upgrade a that the archive bit stopped being reset.  Deleting and recreating the job allowed all to work correctly.

If that is the case, than I would think it an issue with the upgrade.

Also, just curious if you select the DVS files as part of a file system backup, rather than the EV agent, if the bit gets flipped.  At least this may shed light if it is related to the agent or not.

Ryan_the_Red
Level 5
Partner

I am aware of this L. I never said I was using the agent. I'm aware of the changes and understand why the agent doesn't work.

We're doing this as a straight file system backup of the Index, Vault Store Partitions, and SQL Databases. We run a prescript that sets backup mode and backs up the SQL DB's and we run a post script that clears backup mode using the Powershell.

The job is set to clear the archive bits after successful backup.

We are only using the Remote Agent for Windows, no other functionality.