Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cumulative size of all the log files in the database

FI4JOVA
Level 4
Partner

Hi there,

have some "critical" error in the Enterprise Vault Performance Counters ..

The "Cumulative size of all the log files in the database" value is much more higher than the treshold.

The backup on that DB is running fine also for the transaction logs.

I'm not a SQL expert and I don't now how to troubleshoot..

Please help

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jim_leggett
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

There is not much information on what the recommendation for the threshold should be as it would be environment specific.

But I think the primary concern for monitoring this counter has to do with running out of disk space. As sql performance may be impacted of there is not enough disk space to where the transaction logs are stored.

So if you have plenty of disk space you can probably safely increase that threshold.

I suspect that you are backing up and truncating the logs regularly so you may be in a situation where your threshold is just set to low for your environment.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

jim_leggett
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

There is not much information on what the recommendation for the threshold should be as it would be environment specific.

But I think the primary concern for monitoring this counter has to do with running out of disk space. As sql performance may be impacted of there is not enough disk space to where the transaction logs are stored.

So if you have plenty of disk space you can probably safely increase that threshold.

I suspect that you are backing up and truncating the logs regularly so you may be in a situation where your threshold is just set to low for your environment.

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

It is not a problem itself, but a missconfiguration of the warning threshold in the EVOM.Due to the fact that these values should be set according to specific environmental needs, there is no recommended number for this or any other of the threshold warnings or critical threshold levels.

This is a SQL issue and not really an Enterprise Vault one. Here is a MS article that may useful, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/873235 and http://support.microsoft.com/kb/272318

FI4JOVA
Level 4
Partner

Thanks for your answer. I'll monitor the disk space.

I'll come back to you in case of low space.. Thanks Guy's

WiTSend
Level 6
Partner

It may not be an issue at all.  You need to review this setting after backups have been completed, then again the next day just before backups are started.  This will give the the 1 days size of transaction logs.  You can then set your parameter accordingly so that you get a warning if there are too much data (say for example 1.5 days worth of data) and a critical if there are 3 days worth of data.  These are just examples, but you get the drift.

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Sounds like this is something that should be covered in our documentation, right?

Working for cloudficient.com

HDavid
Level 4
Partner Accredited

jep, if i whould have found that in a docu about the EVOM 4 months ago a i whouldn have had to search around :)

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

I've asked a colleague to do a technote to cover it.

Working for cloudficient.com