cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deleting from Archive Explorer

Travis_Peacock
Level 4
Hello,
We are in need of deleting a users items from Archive Explorer. I have followed the directions for site settings to allow users to delete from their archives and this works for mail items. What I am looking for is a way to delete the folder structure and emails within as this user has hundreds of subfolders. At this point we are limited to going into each subfolder and deleting mail from each folder but the folders remain. Is there a way to delete the whole pst or by folder? I have tried exporting to pst and removing the items and then re-importing the pst but the data is still in AE. If someone has any suggestions I would appreciate it.
We are running 6.0 sp1.
Thanks,
Travis
6 REPLIES 6

David_Messeng1
Level 6
Travis,

I suspect you will be out of luck. Shift click and delete a page at a time I suspect. EV was never designed thinking people woud want to delete stuff and it's a pain. Hope I'm wrong. Don't think I am.

Note - a folder in AE is not a folder in the MAPI sense. It's only a database entry not an object so you can;t operate on it. Cak ain't it?

I'd think your best hope is to use the "Delete means delete" on shortcuts - you can select a whole lot more of these whith a shift-click than you can with AE.

Other thought is that a config option for EV on how many items per page it displays would help. I guess v 6 doesn't have this (I'm on v5)

Other option (I intend to look at this) is if the API toolkit has code for deleting frm vault via MAPI. If it does it'd be really easy to write a client app to do this.

David
www.udstech.com

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Here is how to remove the empty folders.

It is possible for existing empty folders to be deleted from ArchiveExplorer. This gives a better display for users.

The delete operation makes extensive use of the storage and directory databases and will have a major performance impact on the Storage Service computer. You are recommended to run the deletion at a time when there is no archiving.

To delete all empty folders:
1. Start the registry editor on the Storage Service computer.
2. Create a new DWORD entry called DeleteEmptyFolders under the following key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\KVS\Enterprise Vault\Storage
3. Give DeleteEmptyFolders a value of 1.
4. Restart the Storage Service.
When you restart the Storage Service, it searches for and deletes the empty folders in all archives. At the end of the search, the DeleteEmptyFolders is automatically reset to 0 to turn off this functionality.
Empty folders can still occur, either because the user has deleted all archived items from a folder, or because you are running storage expiry and all the items in a folder have expired and thus have been deleted. You can run this process periodically to clean up any empty folders that have occurred.

Travis_Peacock
Level 4
Hey Guys,
Thank you very much for you assistance on this. I will see what I can do with trying to find a timeframe when we are not archiving as we are in the middle of a huge archive project. We will have around 7000 users in the archive when we are done and I am guessing this wont be the only time we deal with this.
Thanks!
Travis

David_Messeng1
Level 6
Tony,

have you ever seen DeleteEmptyFolders fail to work? I'm pretty sure it didn't do anything last time I tried it.

David

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Personally, I have never seen it fail, but I have heard of issues where it was under the wrong registry key. If it isn't working I think you can dtrace storagedelete and it should give you some insight as to why

David_Messeng1
Level 6
We have it in the right place and I thnk we DTRACEd. It ran and completed but did bugger all.

Might be dreaming it though.