cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deleting non enterprise vault messages

Paul_Kohan_2
Level 3
I am using EV 6.0 SP1 with Outlook 2003. If I select multiple non-archived messages and hit the delete key on my keyboard I get an Enterprise Vault pop up asking me if I really want to permanently delete the items. If I hit yes they are gone forever. If I hit no then it brings me back into Outlook. If I hit the delete key a second time they delete normally into the deleted items folder. If I select multiple non-archived messages and right click and select delete the messages delete as expected into the deleted items folder. If I only do this for one message at a time I get the correct behavior.

Anyone know what's going on here?

Paul
18 REPLIES 18

Paul_Kohan_2
Level 3
BTW...

This also happens if I select one non archived message and hit Shft-Del.

I get the pop up and the message deletes forever. I know that is what should happen with a shift-delete but I get a Enterprise Vault message when I do it with a non archived message. I should just get a standard Outlook message asking if I want to permanently delete the item.

It sounds like the client is messed up but it happens to me on whichever machine I log onto.

Thank,
Paul

Micah_Wyenn_2
Level 6
Partner Accredited
I seeeeeeem to remember someone telling me once that this is a known issue. The symantec support guys should comment on this as I seem to remember there being a fix, but it was like complicated. I totally didn't get the procedure to fix it, but I'll put a feeler out there if you don't get an answer in a day.

micah

Jason_Sauer_2
Level 4
Here's what I've noticed...

Highlight a non-archived item
Press and release the shift key
Press the delete key

it prompts to perm. delete the item. It's like I have the sticky keys turned on or something.

Exhange 2003 SP2
EV 6.0 SP2
Windows Server 2003 SP1

Edit: I just realized my question was answered here:
http://forums.veritas.com/discussions/thread.jspa?messageID=4427330

To answer Micah's question, Sorry, we've never tried it with the full client. If I have time this week, I'll test it.

Paul_Kohan_2
Level 3
Yup. I have that behavior as well. It does not happen for all of my user though. You had the issue quite a while ago. Did you never get an answer from Symantec?

Symantec employees......any update?

Paul

Jason_Sauer_2
Level 4
If you use the CTRL key to highlight multiple messages, what happens? I only have the problem if I use the shift key.

Paul_Kohan_2
Level 3
It only happens when I use the Shift key as well.

Paul

Jason_Sauer_2
Level 4
update:

I cannot recreate the problem on my PC anymore, however, they guy next to me still has the problem. We both set our PCs up at the same time, we're using the same client, same outlook (Oultook 2003 SP2), same everything. Weird.

One other note, we use Outlook 2003 sp1 on our terminal server and are having the same problem there.

Paul_Kohan_2
Level 3
We logged a call with support two days ago but have not heard back yet.

Paul_Kohan_2
Level 3
We do not experience the issue in our Citrix farm. we are running Outlook 2003 on that instalation as well.

Paul_Kohan_2
Level 3
Try this:

If you select multiple messages and hit delete you get the pop up box, right? Hit "no" to the box but leave the messages selected. Hit the delete key again and then they delete and you don't get the pop up again.

Jason_Sauer_2
Level 4
Crazy. Works for those emails, but if you do it again, the problem still persists. We are about a week from rolling this out to 800 users and we keep running into these little nuances.

Micah_Wyenn_2
Level 6
Partner Accredited
i hate to say it, but that's true of every software package I've ever seen. :) Don't get me started on how many "nuances" I found in xp.

micah

Michael_Bilsbor
Level 6
Accredited
Hi,

I have seen this myself and is a known issue and currently being investigated.
It's intermittent.

Paul_Kohan_2
Level 3
Do you mean intermittent between clients or server installations. Do you know how long it has been getting looked into?

Paul

Micah_Wyenn_2
Level 6
Partner Accredited
I know it's been an issue since 6.0sp1...so at least a couple of months.

micah

Paul_Kohan_2
Level 3
Does 6.0 Sp2 resolve it?

Paul

Jason_Sauer_2
Level 4
Not in our case, we're running 6.0 sp2.

Paul_Kohan_2
Level 3
OK, I heard back from support regarding this issue. The answer I got was that it is a known issue and there is no timetable as to when it will be fixed. I was told to keep an eye out for updates on their website. They also told me the documented workaround is to hit "no" the first time and then hit the delete key again. Not much of a workaround in my opionion. I'll get roasted if I tell 700 people to beware of this issue and to use this workaround.

Oh well.