1400 users - on 2 Exchange servers in a DAG

30,000 messages per day

70k max per message.

A design was proposed to us as follows

8 cores, 16 gigs of Ram for Journaling - 1 Server

8 cores, 16 gigs of Ram for Archiving - 1 Server

8 cores, 16 gigs of Ram for FSA or File system Archiving - 1 Server

12 Cores 32 Gigs or RAM for SQL 2012 64 bit

These numbers seem to be way over subscribed. In real life, i cant see why we can not combine the first three serves with 4 cores and 8 gigs of ram.

If we are using local Cache store, why would we need so much sql power? 4 cores and 8 gigs of ram once again.

Anyone have any real world experience on this.

Paul

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

who proposed your design?

when you ask if any of us have "real world experience on this" the answer is absolutely and you're likely to get replies here from some of the most knowledgeable and experienced EV experts around today.

the thing is, if you're working with a partner then they own your design and they're the ones you're going to go back to if something doesn't work right. it's wise that you're doing your due diligence and all but it wouldn't be right for someone to arbitrarily attempt to validate your requirements without going through a full sizing exercise with you. please keep that in mind.

and one more thing, EV performance guides which are publicly available, recommend basic specs of 8 cores and 16gb of ram per EV server.

View solution in original post

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I second Andy's post.  We can't really comment as to why the recommendation is what it is without working through the sizing exercise.  I have done many of these designs and never had a problem with a customer asking me why I recommended what I did.

I have had customers go against my recommendation and try to "go on the cheap" and end up having to buy more consulting time to then add in the servers I recommended in the first place.

If you have doubts about the design you should discuss those with your architect.

I would most certainly NOT recommend trying to put all three roles on one under-powered server.

WiTSend
Level 6
Partner

I agree with your questioning.  For only 1400 users, even doing both Journal and Mailbox archive and FSA the SQL requirements seem to be overkill.  I have two SQL servers of similar configuration to the above, but I'm supporting over 30K users, not 1400.  Based on the information you have given I would suggest that you have 2 EV servers (1 for Mailbox and Journal archiving) and possibly 1 for FSA.  The SQL server could easily be the minimum requirements See the following KB articles:  HOWTO57928  and HOWTO57929. 

4 REPLIES 4

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

who proposed your design?

when you ask if any of us have "real world experience on this" the answer is absolutely and you're likely to get replies here from some of the most knowledgeable and experienced EV experts around today.

the thing is, if you're working with a partner then they own your design and they're the ones you're going to go back to if something doesn't work right. it's wise that you're doing your due diligence and all but it wouldn't be right for someone to arbitrarily attempt to validate your requirements without going through a full sizing exercise with you. please keep that in mind.

and one more thing, EV performance guides which are publicly available, recommend basic specs of 8 cores and 16gb of ram per EV server.

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I second Andy's post.  We can't really comment as to why the recommendation is what it is without working through the sizing exercise.  I have done many of these designs and never had a problem with a customer asking me why I recommended what I did.

I have had customers go against my recommendation and try to "go on the cheap" and end up having to buy more consulting time to then add in the servers I recommended in the first place.

If you have doubts about the design you should discuss those with your architect.

I would most certainly NOT recommend trying to put all three roles on one under-powered server.

Mr__Wilson
Level 2

I can run over 15k email accounts multi data redundant HA with this type of power. So my instinc tells me to ask if this is legit.

I was hoping someone would reply with how there system is set up and what type of system itilization they are seeing.

I can stand up an Archiving server with 8 cores and 16 gigs of memory to run for an hour at night, Then have a different server (journal) or another for all purposes, its the same as a BES server,(that I run on two cores) and scan the mailboxes. In this case only a handful. So thats another 8 cores and 16 gigs.

No once the file archive as done its thing on teh first scan and indexed, isn't it the same as running deffencial backups and leaving tags. Another 8 cores and 16 gigs of memory.

The SQL piece I had to ask questions about but from what I understand, this too is a very large spec.

I understand nobody wants their application to run slow but at the same time, it really needs to be cost effective.

Thanks

WiTSend
Level 6
Partner

I agree with your questioning.  For only 1400 users, even doing both Journal and Mailbox archive and FSA the SQL requirements seem to be overkill.  I have two SQL servers of similar configuration to the above, but I'm supporting over 30K users, not 1400.  Based on the information you have given I would suggest that you have 2 EV servers (1 for Mailbox and Journal archiving) and possibly 1 for FSA.  The SQL server could easily be the minimum requirements See the following KB articles:  HOWTO57928  and HOWTO57929.