cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EV 7.5 Archive.exe failure with msvcr80.dll

Art2d2
Level 2
Is anyone having this same problem?  We upgraded to EV 7.5 and have a mixed environment of Ex 2003 and Ex 2007 servers.  The archiving tasks for all the Ex 2003 servers keep failing.  We have Sym tech support involved, but they have not resolved.  Wondering if anyone is having similar issues and if resolved, how you resolved?  We have completely uninstalled and reinstalled 7.5 and deleted and recreated new tasks to no avail.  The 2007 side appears to be working fine.
Thanks
33 REPLIES 33

MIF
Level 2
I am hvaing exactly the same issue also. I have logged a case and am waiting a call back from support. In the mean time is there a fix or scripts that I can run that will resolve this issue? Thanks

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
If you think you have the same issue you should tell the support tech that you are seeing similiar issues to case #320-071-137.

That way Symantec can link them together if they are a match.

Regards,
Tony

MIF
Level 2
Thanks Tony,

II'll be sure to once support call me back...

payoun
Level 4
Hi,

I have the same problem with 3 EV 7.5 SP1 server (not upgraded) . There are 2 crashes with archivetask.exe and migratorserver.exe faulting in module msvcr80.dll

What i found out is in all these cases i can find a lot of msvcr80.dll in the system caming from all kind of softwares installed . most of them are relevant i.e on HP servers some managments tools.
Today i installed an EV 7.5 SP2 and the DLL is appearing only in places under
c:\windows\system32\....WinxSx ( sorry , don't remember the exact location.) And i have no crashes in the EV processes.

Hope this will help ...

Peter

LBrignol
Level 4
Partner Certified
I too am having the same problem.  I had upgraded the product from version 6 SP4 to 7 Sp3 then to 2007 SP2.  Now my archiving task fails constantly (I am using Exchange 2003, nothing changed there that I know of).  Also I discovered that I could no longer open user mailboxes on the EV server.  I checked and see that the Vault Service Account has Full Mailbox rights, but I see for send/receive as it also has a "Deny" option checked that seems inherited.    Can't remember if these are correct or not. 

Anyway, help on this would be greatly appreciated.    I do not see two SELF instances in the Security Tab or the Exchange Mailbox Permissions so not sure where to go now.  I have to archive 60 user mailboxes tomorrow night and well, its not working on any mailboxes at this time.  Hopefully support or engineering can help us all out with this issue. 

Thanks All!  :)

Shawn_Waggoner
Level 4
Partner Accredited Certified

I just upgraded and environment to 2007SP3 and now having these same exact issues. Was there a fix for them that we can run? Was support able to get the issue resolved? Just wanted to check before opening another support case.

Thanks!

Shawn_Waggoner
Level 4
Of the people wo are having this issue, how many people used Quest's Migration Manager for Exchange? I found some tech notes that refer to a problem from this tool.

Hayabusa
Level 3
Partner

Root cause: Quest exchange migration wizard software causing known issue

Troubleshooting steps taken to resolve the problem:reviewed technote from Symantec

Documented solution link if applicable: http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/302543.htm

Quest Software has acknowledged this issue and provided Update 20080321 which is available from  http://support.quest.com to address this issue.

Shawn_Waggoner
Level 4

Symantec Support just gotus this article a few minutes ago and we are going to try this fix. This was the tool that was used to migrate the old Exch 5.5 environment to 2000. Running the ADModify utility that is discussed here: http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/288235.htm does in fact show multiple entries for for SELF for the older mailboxes.

I'll repost after we run the Quest utility.

MichelZ
Level 6

Weeehaw. A solution after 29 posts... record! ;)

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.

Aaron_Mears
Level 4
Employee Accredited Certified

Solved!

We had this problem and what we found was that there were orphan permissions on various mailboxes.  It could be SELF permission problem too, but also if someone is deleted from AD and their SID is left with permissions on the mailbox (or subfolder).  EV can't resolve the permissions when it does the Sync, because the account not longer exists in AD.  For us this was complicated by the fact that if there were delegated permissions so you can get an orphan SID on a sub-folder too (but you don't see those under mailbox rights).

The good news is that there is a 'fix' depending on your circumstance.  The Microsoft PFDAVAdmin tool can innumerate permissions on mailboxes and show where a SID has permissions, rather than a user. 

You need to be careful because if you have AD trusts in place (or unique domain permissioning) as you may show a SID rather than an account simply because you are running PFDAVADMIN with an account that can't resolve all of the permissions.  PFDAVAdmin can also fix the DACL for you (yipee!).

What we found was it was either the Inbox or Calendar since these are often what get delegated in Outlook.

Also, the MS tool 'NoMAS.exe" can be used to fix the mailbox SELF issue (master account SID), but does not fix the problem with orphan SID's on subfolders (delegation).  They both can cause the task to crash.  It's out on the web for download.

http://www.msexchange.org/articles/NoMAS-Tool.html

cameron1
Not applicable
Partner
My client did a migration to Exchange 2007 and they migrated to a new domain. They still have the legacy domain as well as a the new domain. To allow users to funcion normally, they needed to enable SID history. The SID history ends up creating duplicate SELF accounts, one for the old domain and one for the new domain. This causes the archiving task to break with an error code of 1000.

The IT team here have been successful in removing the SID history with a vb script(

Microsoft Technet on script to clear SIDHistory

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=295758) and then manually removing the duplicate SELF account with the Exchance console that refered to the old domain. This allows archiving to occur.  The concern is that removing the SID history will break other applications and network resources that still require access to the old domain. Is there any other way to resolve this issue withour removing the SID history?

MichelZ
Level 6

Hi there

AFAIK you only have to get rid ofthe "SELF", you do not need to delete the historySID

/Michel

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.

Contonso
Level 4
Hi there,

Two things: 

fist:
we have the same Event log entry on our EV 8.0 SP2 Server:

Faulting application ArchiveTask.EXE, version 8.0.2.1693, faulting module msvcr80.dll, version 8.0.50727.762, fault address 0x0000e792

But the Document ID:
288235 is applied for:
Enterprise Vault for Microsoft Exchange 2007 7.5, 2007 7.5 SP1, 2007 7.5 SP2, 2007 7.5 SP3, 2007 7.5 SP4 (Fixed), 7.0, 7.0 SP1.

second:
We have also the problem, that the MSMQ que A1(pending Items) won't be emptied. And the status of the Archive Task switches to failed.
To be honest I do not now if this has soemthing to do with this event entry 1000.

After restarting the Archive Task manually the que A1 is processed. I have noticed this problem with the MSMQ que,  after a system reeboot and the backup mode was cleared. But this could be a coincidence.  What I can say is that after the Backup Mode is cleared, I got exception errors.
EVLog.JPG

Any idea how to solve this?

BR