cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EV 7?

MarkOlsen
Level 4
Does anyone have the latest information on when Enteprise Vault 7 will be available? Is there a formal Beta program? Also, is there a list of new features you can refer me to?

Thanks ... Mark
18 REPLIES 18

Micah_Wyenn
Level 6
Mark,
It's due out in a month or so, documentation is forthcoming (I've been told). The beta came and went...and they're just packaging it fer delivery and getting the support folks trained up on it.

micah

Martin_Widemann
Level 4
On the 6th December i will meet with Symantec at the Channel Launch of Enterprise Vault here in Germany. I think they whould release V7 a few weeks after then. If i got some Informations about Beta Programm etc. i will support you with them here.

Martin

Brian_Spooner
Level 5
It sounds like a fairly major release since we're going from 6.x to 7.x... Any idea what kind of changes/enhancements are in store?

bob_cratchet
Level 3
Employee
EV7 was RTM Yesterday, and is on track for release on 15/16 Dec.

Some new features..

Roles Based Admin
Some nice new FSA tools
Provisioning Groups
More granular capability in several areas.
Some Supportability tools, so Dtrace from the VAC...with some built in scripts for various Dtraces..(Helps the Techies out)
Clustering support (MS cluster.. NOT SYMANTEC)
New License model
Exchange 2007 support
MUCH Better reporting tools..
Push install of the Placeholder service.. NICE!!
Archive points deployment from the VAC..
Client improvements (Self Healing client)
Hidden message management from the client
Desktop serach integration

Michael_Bilsbor
Level 6
Accredited
NOT SYMANTEC??? VCS support was already in the product.

Micah_Wyenn
Level 6
I think bob meant that the _new_ feature was cluster support for MS. 'course it is a bit misleadin'...'sides, who in their right minds uses MS clusters anyhow. silly people.

micah

bob_cratchet
Level 3
Employee
Yes.. I am sorry for the confusion.. Of course, I meant that there is now ALSO support for MS cluster Service.. Not JUST VCS......

MarkOlsen
Level 4
Does anyone per chance have some sort of official document comparing the versions? The only relevant item I could find on version 7 on Google was a presentation on Decembere 20th by Carahsoft.

One feature we're really looking for: if an E-mail is archived and a shortcut is left, and if the user then moves the shortcut to a new folder structure with a different retention period assigned, it would be great if it could automatically update the actual E-mail to the properties of the new retention period.

Michael_Bilsbor
Level 6
Accredited
HI,

Sorry to say that is still an issue.

Peter_Kozak
Level 5
Partner
Hi Mark,

maybe you can work with Exchange EventSinks and when moving the File then change the RetCat in the Database...

Cheers

Peter

James_Herbert
Level 5
Does anyone now if EV7 will include users extensions for Macs?

Michael_Bilsbor
Level 6
Accredited
what features are you looking for in the extension. If you are look for the same capabilities as Outlook in say Entourage then the answer is no. Entourage is simply not advanced enough to allow that level of integration.

Herman_Rutten
Level 4
Partner Certified
Hi Mark,

A PreVal of EV7.0 has been released just before the weekend.

However, you need to enter the Symantec CAP program and be approved before you can actually download the software. The software holds the usual documentation as delivered with V6.0 (eg. Administrator's Guide, Utilities Guide, etc.), but now updated for V7.0. You should see some changes as you go through them.

I hope this answers your question sufficiently ;)

Brian_Day
Level 6
Our account rep from Symantec told us December 14th for EV 7.0, so thats still the case? I'm dying to get my hands on some detailed documentation about the new features for it besides just bullet points, but they have yet to be able to provide us with anything.

We're just about to deploy 6.0, but will hold off and upgrade to 7.0 before going live so that we don't have to go through additional testing cycles.

Micah_Wyenn
Level 6
Brian,
Does your corporate policy allow you to jump on new software, or do you have to wait a bit for the industry to suss it out?

micah

Brian_Day
Level 6
This is one we'll be able to actually jump on as we haven't deployed our 6.0 SP3 setup yet. It is all setup (4 mailbox servers, 1 public folder server, 1 failover server, 1 SQL 2005 server, 2 EMC Centerra units replicated to each other) presently and undergoing final testing, but we saw this as a way to avoid inventing the wheel twice in the future if we go with 7.0 now. Delaying the deployment a little to upgrade and do some more testing we feel is more acceptable than rolling it out and then going through an upgrade and possible causing a disruption in service.

We are also happy that MSCS is being supported this time around (sorry Veritas ;)). We may go ahead and use this delay in deployment to rebuild all the servers as single-node clusters so when we get some more $$ for hardware we can just join a second partner to the cluster.

PATRICK_Kitchen
Level 6
Can anyone tell me what reporting tools will be in EV7 - we have a massive problem that our vault is growing at the rate of 1GB a day and we have no method of interrogating what is being archived and what the problem are.

Just out of interest what sizes are your vaults we have been on KVS for just over 12 months now with approx 2000 users our vault partition is already 853GB in size.

Is this normal ? what are other users experiences, we are taking measure to reduce attachment sizes and stop the rubbish type email but getting users to delete email before it is archived is a major problem for us.

MarkOlsen
Level 4
Hi Patrick:

I've developed three Crystal Reports that read EV SQL2005 database that I would be glad to share with anyone. They of course refer to our fairly simplistic set up of one server, with a Journal Vault and a Mailbox vault. These reports are against the Mailbox vault and might be of interest, particularly the one where you can enter a date range and Crystal will return the activity by day within user with a cross tab of activity by retention period.

My E-mail address is: mark_olsen@inter-tel.com.

Hope this helps ... Mark