Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EV Data move

K_G
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi,

I have to move all EV data, to new server and new storage. (IBM xiv to Netapp)

I couldnt use storage move or replication.

Netbackup restore is too too slow.

I have 5.5 TB Data

have can i carry my data more efficiently?

do you have any experience? Robocopy or 3rd party file transfer tools?

thanks...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

The only thing i can add to this is , if you haven't already, close the current partition that is writing to theold storage and then open a partition on the new netapp, that way its less data in the long run to move and you dont have to worry about trying to eep up with more live data being written to the netapp etc

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

I have used robocoy for several EV migrations.

Just make a script to copy the data, EV can be running during that time. When most of the data is copied, stop the EV services, run a final copy and migrate the EV server or assign the old driveletters to the new volumes.

K_G
Level 6
Partner Accredited

I have no experience with robocopy ,can you share esample script to modify my server details?

I have 5.5 TB data yo also move big data like this ? it sould takes too much time:)

thanks...

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

1TB is the max I did. But if you copy the data (can be done during the day), and the last day you only need to run the script again to copy the differences.

Example:

robocopy \\EVserver1\d$\vaultstore1  \\EVserver2\d$\vaultstore1 /s /e /sec /mir /np /log+c:\support\log\vaultstore1.txt

K_G
Level 6
Partner Accredited

can i run more then 1 robocopy process in same time?

more processes with parallel runs decreases the total time?

Now average  7 GB copyed in 10 mins. 

thanks...

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

You can run multiple instances of robocopy, you must test it yourself if you see any progress in speed.

It can happen that they interfere with each other. The old and new storage systems must be able to handle all the requests. If it can't handle the requests, it can be even slower to start multiple instances at the same time.

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

The only thing i can add to this is , if you haven't already, close the current partition that is writing to theold storage and then open a partition on the new netapp, that way its less data in the long run to move and you dont have to worry about trying to eep up with more live data being written to the netapp etc

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146