cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EV Domino to Exchange migration

dihrig
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Customer is migrating from Domino to Exchange.

They've had EV Domino mailbox archiving for a long time, and we will use the out-of-the-box EV utility "EVDominoExchangeMigration" tool and the docmented process that goes along with it.

We are testing this in the lab, and everything in the documented process is working fine. Binary Tree migrates the messages and shortcuts to Exchange, the EVDominoExchangeMigration utility properly converts them, and we can open them in Outlook.

The problem we've noticed so far: When we open a shortcut and the message is retrieved and opened in Outlook, the FROM: field always contains the smtp address for the sender, however the TO: and CC: fields sometimes show the smtp address, and sometime show the Domino address.

The problem with the Domino address here is that we can't reply-all, the Domino address doesn't resolve in Outlook.

Note: In the Domino mailbox archiving policy we have the option to "lookup addresses" enabled, so all Domino addresses are resolved to smtp upon archiving and storage in EV. So, the smtp addresses should be there.

Any ideas why are we seeing this inconsistency?

Anyone else run into this or used this tool successfully?

Case has already been opened with support.

Thanks.

6 REPLIES 6

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

hi dan, have you tried reaching out to Paul Honey? he's occasionally on the forums so maybe you can PM him.

Aziz_K
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Hi Dan, 

Have you tried Notes address setup as an alias in the users' AD account?

Paul_Honey
Level 5
Employee Accredited

Dan

I can't say that this is an issue we have had reported before and some big environments have gone through this migration process. As per Aziz' point above though, I do wonder if those other environments have configured their AD to resolve 'old' Domino addresses by adding them as aliases to the AD accounts, this would certainly seem a good best practice in a migration scenario.

I am also intrigued though as to why the behaviour differs for certain items. I assume that an item displaying SMTP addresses does so consistently on every retrieval attempt, and likewise for an item displaying Domino addresses? If that is the case, then difference in behaviour will most likely be data driven and the Support rep will need to get savesets from you of items displaying the two behaviours, along with DTrace of the RetrievalTask and StorageOnlineOpns of both in order to try and start understanding what is different between the two datasets.

Can you let me know the case number so I can keep an eye on its progress and share a few thoughts on troubleshooting steps with your assigned Support rep

Thanks
Paul

dihrig
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Would be good to know what the expected behavior is when opening these migrated/fixed-up shortcuts. If the smtp address is in the DVS, would we expect that to be used to populate the header?

Will certainly consider adding an alias in AD with Domino address if that's required.

Thanks.

LarryW
Level 2
Employee

Hello Dan,

I think we may be seeing this for some items simply because of where the messages originated from and how they travelled through to the recipient.  For example, if a message was sent from an outside source and delivered via SMTP then the message would have an SMTP recipient addresses for the recipients it is coming in to and Domino will also include the Domino canonical names as different fields.  Messages like these are probably working fine for you.  However, messages sent internally in a Domino environment from one user to another will only have the Domino canonical name.  And this is fine because Domino knowns how to route those messages internally.  To complex matters even more is that users in Domino do not even have to have SMTP email addresses.  From a notes client this will still work but this would be foreign to Outlook/Exchange.

I would suggest finding a message having this issue and then going back to the original in the notes NSF file if it still exist.  Check the properties of the note and review all of the fields to see the difference between it and one that is working.  Maybe the message was internal only and so canonical names were used only or maybe the user does not have an SMTP email address for the user name in Domino.

A dtrace could also be useful.  But if you have the original items in NSF it may be quicker to see what is different.

Hope this helps.

dihrig
Level 4
Partner Accredited

To sum up:

1. All users have smtp addresses

2. Domino mailbox policy advanced setting 'Lookup e-mail addresses' has always been enabled, so all archived messages are stored in EV with smtp address.

3. The lab environment we tested this in apparently had an incomplete Domino directory & AD, that's why the addresses were not resolving properly in our tests.

4. In production, our first test shows migrated & fixed-up shortcuts in Outlook work as desired: smtp addresses are present, and reply-all works properly. No need to add Domino address as an alias in AD... so far.

Thanks to all for the input.