Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EV and Netbackup flashbackups - removing safety copies

Anon_Man
Level 4

Hi

Hope someone can help!

Having just switched our EV backups to Netbackup flashbackups, we are getting greatly increased backup throughput.  All very nice. However doing backups in this way doesn't reset the archive bit so the safety copies aren't being removed.  If I could work out the Netbackup command for querying the backup status, I could add it to the bpend_notify.bat file and then run an attrib command to reset the archive bits if a status 0.

I can see that I have the option there to use IgnoreArchiveBitTrigger, but as far as I can tell, you still have to query Netbackup to determine if the backup ended successfully - ultimately the same problem.

Am I missing something obvious here?  Is there a way to use flashbackups without having to resort to setting the store to remove safety copies immediately after archiving.

Thankssmiley

2 REPLIES 2

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Forgive me if I'm wrong but you don't need a command to query the backups status because the bpend batch file only triggers upon backup completion, to which you should then create the ignorearchivebittrigger.txt and then take your storage out of read only mode It's faster than the attrib command which could take a longtime across a large file system I believe there is a white paper for best practices when backing up ev through netbackup
https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

Anon_Man
Level 4

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that bpend_notify gets called regardless of the status of the job.  However you're right about the ignorearchivebittrigger being faster than running attrib against a whole load of files. 

I've just been reading the Netbackup admin guide and it seems that Netbackup returns the status code of the job to bpend_notify. So if I just query for %5 within the job it should be nice and easy.  Will try that and see how I get on....

Thanks again.