cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EV7 not vaulting items manually in Outlook after exchange migration

Simomax
Level 3

Hello!

I have recently migrated Exchange 2003 to new server hardware and since migrating items in Outlook 2003 are not being vaulted when the user manually vaults the item.

EV was all working well before the migration with no problems whatsoever. The old Exchange server got tired so I migrated Exchange to new hardware, EV7 stayed put on its existing seperate server. The Exchange migration was from Exchange 2003 SP2/Windows server 2000 SP4 to Exchange 2003 SP2/Windows server 2003 SP2. I went through the same setup with the new exchange server as I did with the old Exchange server. I have added the new Exchange server to EV7, created a provisioning task and archiving task, setup OWA extensions etc. - all is good.

Now, here is the wierd part. The over night archiving task runs and does archive items. The manual archiving works within OWA (I can archive, restore, cancel, and read in OWA). When I manually archive an item in Outlook 2003 the icon changes to the 'pending archive' icon, but does not archive. If I then hit the 'archive' button again I get 'Unable to archive the selected items because they are already stored in the Vault' and if I hit the 'restore' button I get 'Unable to restore because you have not selected and archived items'. I can cancel archiving the item in Outlook and I can also view archived items. The same also applies to trying to restore an item in Outlook, I can hit the button but it does nothing.

So, the quick and short: Over night archiving works, manual archiving and restoring from OWA works, manual archiving and restoreing from the Outlook 2003 Client does not work.

I should also let you know that there have been no changes whatsoever to the EV7 server or any of the Outlook 2003 clients.

I am really stumped on this so any help will be very much appreciated.

Many thanks,

Simon.

ETA:

I am also getting these warnings in the Vault event log on the EV server:

Event ID: 3288

A problem has occurred while archiving a message.

The archived item was not found or is no longer archive pending.

Task: Mailbox Archiving Task for SGUK-MAIL0

Message Title: [Not Available]

Users mailbox dn: /o=Smith Group/ou=Kirkham/cn=Recipients/cn=Simon.Maxwell

Internal reference: CArchivingAgent::ArchiveItemV35

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://evevent.veritas.com/rosetta/showevent.asp

Event ID: 2270

A queued operation exceeded the retry count and has been discarded

m_pIArchivingAgentV35->ArchiveItemV35(ClientID = "",

TransactionID = "BD0325EDD5BD4881975D13A3967AA89",

m_pIArchivableItem,

ArchiveID = "1FAAF2F9D2637F44086B677EDC8F614AD1110000vault.smith-group.com",

m_pILocation,

m_pIShortcutAccessor,

ExchangeSystem = "SGUK-MAIL0",

RetentionCategory = "100AB2450CC71ED4499F278A87CD17E331b10000vault.smith-group.com",

NULL,

nRetryCount = 3,

NULL,

CallerSID,

isARearchive = 0,

CallerIsAdministrator = 1);

HRESULT: 0x8004010F

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://evevent.veritas.com/rosetta/showevent.asp

Message Edited by Simomax on 07-03-2008 09:06 AM
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Michael_Bilsbor
Level 6
Accredited

Hi,

I have seen this issue before but it was years ago.  It was related to exchange mailbox moves and Exchange not doing the pointers quite correctly which meant when we try and process the item we suddenly get 'tripped up' by these pointers.

I also seem to think it was related to a bug in ESM.  I'll try and find it...

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Michael_Bilsbor
Level 6
Accredited

Hi,

I have seen this issue before but it was years ago.  It was related to exchange mailbox moves and Exchange not doing the pointers quite correctly which meant when we try and process the item we suddenly get 'tripped up' by these pointers.

I also seem to think it was related to a bug in ESM.  I'll try and find it...

_Ben
Level 2

Hi,

I had this happen to me recently when creating adding a new exchange server.

To fix this we had to add this registry key:

HKLM\SOFTWARE\KVS\Enterprise Vault\Agents

New DWORD - "SynchInMigrationMode" and set to "1"

hope this helps.

Ben

Simomax
Level 3

Hi,

I think it maybe what The Dodo mentioned about ESM. As soon as I saw that it hit me like a brick in the face. I had a very similar problem when installing, though slightly different. The problem was that I was running Windows 2000 Server/Exchange 2003. In this configuration it requires ESM 2000, but I originally installed with ESM 2003, and it didn't work.

After the migration over to the new server Windows 2003 Server/Exchange 2003 the only thing I havent changed (umm forgot....) is the version of ESM running on the Vault server, which is still ESM 2000!

I plan to upgrade from ESM 2000 to ESM 2003 asap, but as this is a production server I will probably have to do this out of hours - I'll keep you posted!

Simon.

Simomax
Level 3

Ok, so I unistalled ESM 2000 and installed ESM 2003 at the weekend.

Now I have a MAPI failure with the message archiving task. I looked into it a little more, then realised that ESM 2000 IS required on our EV7 server as the EV server sits on Windows 2000 server! DOH! I upgraded our Exchange server to Windows 2003 server, not the EV server (It's been a hard week Smiley Sad )

For now I am going to install SP3 for EV7 as it seems this does not require ESM to be running on the EV server, but we shall see.

Again, I'll keep you posted.

Simon.

Message Edited by Simomax on 07-07-2008 02:43 AM

Simomax
Level 3

Allrightythen!

I have upgraded to EV7 SP3 and all is working again! Smiley Very Happy

To be honest, I don't know where the particular problem lied, though I do think it may have been something to do with ESM. As SP3 (apparently) does not require ESM, I left ESM 2003 installed.

So, everything works, automatic archiving, manual and OWA.

the Dodo - I'm going to give you this one as the solution as you pointed me in the direction of ESM Smiley Wink

Simon.

Message Edited by Simomax on 07-08-2008 07:40 AM