Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EV8 licensing

Korbyn
Level 5
Partner Accredited
Nob question of the day:

EV8 licensing, when you use up all your licenses, say 200 out of 200, 201 just won't be activated for archiving, or does the admin get a Nag screen like you do in BES?  I'm pretty sure it just won't archive any new mailboxes added, but haven't hit this situation, so I don't know what happens from experience.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Hi Korbyn,

As far as I know, it is a trust between Symantec and you. If you buy a license for 200 mailboxes, Symantec trusts that if you hit 201, and forsee a growth to 300, you'll buy an additional 100 licenses. But, ask you programmanager, or Symantec Licensing (customer service) to be sure.

Gertjan
Regards. Gertjan

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

GertjanA
Hi Korbyn,

As far as I know, it is a trust between Symantec and you. If you buy a license for 200 mailboxes, Symantec trusts that if you hit 201, and forsee a growth to 300, you'll buy an additional 100 licenses. But, ask you programmanager, or Symantec Licensing (customer service) to be sure.

Gertjan
Regards. Gertjan

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Yes, what Gertjan states is true.
There is no license enforcement as of today, except for the "base" licenses.
So if you have NO license, you can't archive things.
If you have a license for 1 User, you can really archive millions of users if you want.

Cheers
Michel

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.

GertjanA
Obviously, consider this a gentleman's agreement between you and Symantec. If they ever visit, and find you having license for 1, and archiving millions, you're truly scre*&

^;-)

Gertjan
Regards. Gertjan

Korbyn
Level 5
Partner Accredited

It was a client asked question so I just wanted to clarify.  Evidentally I haven't come across this very often...  I come from the old days, started off with 4.0, back when we had to generate a file to send to KVS, which basically produced the license key based on our disk id, which was a royal pain especially in a DR and your drives had changed.

Thanks guys.