Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EV9, DataDomain (CIFS) & BackupExec

JuanAntonio
Level 5
Hi all,

We're currently running:

- EV 9.0.4 on Windows 2008.
- HP LeftHand P4300 storage devices as Primary Vault Store (iSCSI).
- Using Collections
- 1 Vault Store Group with 3 Vault Stores (one Partition each) 
- No Secondary Vault Store.
- BackupExec 2010 R3 SP4 (using the EV agent)

We're migrating to a new Primary Vault Store based on:

- DataDomain 2500 with DD OS 5.4 (CIFS)

I have created 3 new VaultStores on 3 CIFS shares on the DD with no collections enabled (that is the recommendation to take advantage of compression and deduplication). It seems to be that DD OS 5.4 has been optimazed to manage EV savesets.

The big problem I have found is that backups are terribly slow. Much more than in our original environment. We're even getting thousands of errors in our BackupExec server (one per each file and folder on the archive is being backup up):

Event ID 57476:

The operating system returned an unusual error while backips up the following file: \\svr-fls-06\SEV-01\Exchange2Ptn1\2014\02-24\8\OE4\xxxxxx.DVS. It is possible that this fiole is incomplete and therefor should not be restored.

Event ID 57477:

The operating system returned an unusual error while backing up the extended attributes or security information for the following directory: \\svr-fls-06\SEV-01\Exchange2Ptn1\2014\02-24\8\OE4. This problem does not prevent the directory's contents from being successfully backed up.

I know I can enable collections to improve backup times, but I will lose deduplication capabilities on the DD.

Any help will be grate.

Thanks in advanced and best regards.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

It really is a backup issue.  Those errors don't mean anything in the EV world. You should open a case with the backup team and they can work with their EV peers if necessary.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...moved to the EV forum as this might actually be more of an EV query.

Thanks!

JuanAntonio
Level 5

The errors we are getting on the BackupExec server are coming not also from EV backups  but also from any share configured on the DataDomain from wich we do a backup. 

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Is purely a backup issue, sorry My suggestion would be to contact support for backupe ex or whichever utility you are using to backup EV
https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

JuanAntonio
Level 5

Ok thanks

JuanAntonio
Level 5

But... one of you says it's an EV issue. The other one says it's a backup issue. Any other suggestions??

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

It really is a backup issue.  Those errors don't mean anything in the EV world. You should open a case with the backup team and they can work with their EV peers if necessary.